Why no computer-free Overbridge?

Seriously, this question has been bugging me for quite some time now. Say, you have a hardware unit like DT/DN that can send multiple channels of audio via usb. It doesn’t have multiple analog outputs, that’s ok, hardware design limitations and what not. But if it does send audio channels separately, then it must contain some sort of a multi-output audio interface. If so, why not make something like a hardware box that takes usb audio and just splits it to, say, four analog outputs (DN)? That would be great for live applications, imagine separate FOH mixing and separate hardware FX chains.
The only explanation I see for why it only works through a computer is - maybe the OB plugins actually generate audio themselves and only use the hardware units as controllers? I mean, if you put a 2x8 audio interface inside a unit, you probably want to make it worth the effort, why the heck use a computer? There must be no multichannel audio interface inside. In this case, plug-ins must actually replace the hardware synth engine to be able to stream multiple channels of audio, right?

There’s no official Elektron device like this, but @eranrund is working on a project to do it, see here: Digitone/Digitakt breakout box [work in progress]

3 Likes

This totally means it has as audio interface inside. Thanks a lot for the answer!

Why no computer-free Overbridge?

Because millions of people use computer software to make music (compared to only 10s of thousands that use Elektron hardware) and Elektron wanted to get further into that userbase with their hardware.

So you think you could just install Overbridge and get all the sounds of Elektron hardware without the hardware?

7 Likes

The boxes will have audio interfaces, but only the ones they would have anyway, without Overbridge. OB is (most likely) a purely digital protocol. As far as the computers, hardware, USB etc are concerned, it’s all just data. You could make an Overbridge device that didn’t have audio I/o (it’d be dull, and just lead to flashing lights or something).

I guess the Analogs will be a little different, they’ll need audio I/o to convert their analog signals to digital before passing it through Overbridge.

1 Like

Also… it’s much more like the OB plugins are controllers for the Elektron hardware.

1 Like

Overbridge is NOT generating any sounds. It is taking a proprietary data (similar to Roland’s own drivers for its Aira Devices (eg TR8S/MC707/MX-1/etc) for multi channel output) and bringing them in via the application while offering an easy to use interface for all the parameters that sends midi to the devices…

Currently there is something called “Class Compliant” audio drivers for devices, but these typically only allow for two channels (Eg the Digitakt can use Class Compliant drivers, but you will only get mix out),

4 Likes

I have been thinking about this as well. Something like the Roland Mx-1 that takes input from other Aura devices. An Elektron take on that with some performance functions from the OT, AH, song mode etc.

It is an interesting thought, maybe the question should be “why no computer free overbridge yet:slight_smile: I assume (=hope) it will happen

It would be very nice to have a class compliant USB audio mixer, similar to the MX-1 but in a good way. Elektron style and quality.

There are so many synths with class compliant audio/midi, but I assume it would still be difficult to do, and what about MIDI and sync?

An Overbridge mixer would be the absolute killer! With our without individual outs. And some effects.

1 Like

Without overbridge, I use core audio to get 10 channels out of my DT in my DAW

Not sure but have you tried that without Oberbridge installed? Iirc you will end up with a 2in 2out…

1 Like

I have. It just works as an interface over core audio. 10in (12, including hardware inputs), 2out.

Edit… haven’t tried since the latest update.

I don’t think it would be that easy, of course, but if the secret technology of splitting the usb audio into multiple channels was actually just plug-ins generating sounds themselves, that would explain why no hardware breakout box could exist.
Anyway, it can exist, people are making it and actually have managed to stream Digitone synths to separate analog outs, as the first comment in this thread points out.

I think neither of us knows enough about audio interfaces engineering to try and guess what’s actually inside the DT or DN, but since it is clear now that one can stream multichannel audio from a DN without a computer (well, a normal Mac/PC type computer), I think such a breakout box is a good thing to suggest to Elektron. I would buy one for sure.

Wouldn’t you be more concerned with the USB controller than the A/D or D/A? You should be able to spot the specific chipset on anyone’s images of the main board.

Do you mean in USB Audio/MIDI mode?

Core Audio is the protocol. Yes, USB Audio. “Core Audio” might be a MacOS term. Not sure what the equivalent is on Windows… probably a required driver of some sort.

1 Like

@mr_bernard thanks :slight_smile:
Strange as I only see 2 outputs and 2 inputs in my DAW when DT is selected as sound card in USB Audio/MIDI mode (Core Audio indeed).

2 Likes

You are using overbridge ;). Not the plugin but definitely the driver (which does use core audio as well afaik). With class compliant audio without OB you’ll only see 2in2out. As Vasidudu points out as well.

Cheers

5 Likes

Yep! Haha. I forgot the terminology. You are totally right. Overbridge mode on DT, into DAW without plugin.

2 Likes