Why is this forum so nice?

Thanks for the replies - very interesting to know!

I can especially relate to people posting about users sharing a similar approach to music making. Interestingly, I just saw a thread where that elitism mentioned in this thread reared its head on a discussion about the Moog Sub 37 (I’m interested in getting one.) People were writing in mocking tones about ‘complex’ modulations and ‘experimental sounds’ (basically saying they would never be usable in an ‘actual’ piece of music) - very much a case where the virtuoso keyboard players were looking down on those with more of a producer / composer mindset (or those who…like being able to make unusual, modulated sounds and happen to find them ‘usable’! Hah!) I come across that attitude a lot, anyway. Why define what’s worthwhile in such narrow terms, I wonder? I don’t feel superior in any way to those people and see the value in all disciplines - but surely such scathing approaches to forms alien to oneself can’t be anything except limiting? If a user of gear likes those kind of sound design possibilities that are (currently) more ‘on the edge’ of what’s acceptable and want to spend hours exploring them or incorporating them in a piece of music, what’s the problem? I actually grew up immersed in classical music and still that world at times, but my notions of what constitutes melody, harmony, rhythm or music itself seem have been greatly broadened by this technology and music that explores sound in different/playful ways. Anyway: clearly people are increasingly finding it just as wonderful to create sound-design driven musical worlds where musical distinctions are all very liquid as do any approaches in music. It’s strange to me that people don’t live and let live in this! It clearly at some point all takes commitment and skill to realise, in different ways.

I wonder if the relative newness of Elektron gear - but also its high end sound and quality- helps this evasion of distinctions of old vs new, analog vs digital, tradition and experimentation and all the other boring distinctions that can ruin fun in music? :wink:

1 Like

If you can, get one, or the Subsequent 37. Great instrument. I love it and use it often.

You really think those peoples might be “virtuoso”? Come on … really? If a person is “mocking” about complex modulations, which should never be useful in music, well, that is quite a statement of ignorance revealed. During stone age such a person would have called the very first flute a wasting of bones, which could have been put to better use :wink: … and can you tell, whether those guys can play an instrument at all :wink:

I would say, if somebody tries to goof others, he’s got a problem with oneself. Good chance is that he thinks to be great, if he makes others believe to be small. Poor guy, this is.

There have been and are great musicians, who said and say that playing an instrument virtuousic, is not the heart of music or required at all. A good musician touches the soul of the audience.

2 Likes

Sorry didn’t mean to like this!

It’s really special here, awesome atmosphere! So many people who are willing to help, inspire and share they knowledge!

Here i have never witnessed extreme rude behaviour, hate or ignorance. I don’t know if this is because of the mods or the fact that we all share similar interests.

I came here because of elektron gear, but I stayed because of the people!

12 Likes

That’s cool @Kari !

5 Likes

I think every Octatrack should come with a little card leading to this forum :smiley:

I’m glad you’re enjoying this forum(and the gear) like the rest of us- both are amazing and I’m happy you’re one of us(but not, like, in some creepy cult kinda way(entirely))

What Elektrons are you rocking, btw?

6 Likes

so good to describe!

:rofl:

3 Likes

:smiley:
Thanks a lot, Ryan!

I got the Analog four mk1 and a Octatrack mk2. This year I will probably buy a RYTM and maybe the Analog heat! I‘m a real noob, started to make music last spring, when I was in a mental Institution in order to get rid of opiats.
I had a laptop and ordered my first midi keyboard while i was there. I then got out and I thought it would be good to have another hobby besides of drawing/art. Otherwise I might would relapse.

So I did buy a few Volcas. It was so much fun, that I did buy a jd-xi, Blofeld, Pulse 2, Sh01a, OP-1,TB-3, TR-8, Mx-1, Kaoss pad 3, a Electribe, and finally a Virus ti2 desktop. I’m into ambient, minimal, house and psy trance. It’s obvious that I had the GAS :wink: But I have no regrets! I now have my volcas and some synth in the house of my mother and every time I going to visit her, i can jam with this setup.

My friends always joke about that i had more money when I was on painkillers and not into hardware synthesizer :slight_smile:

My current setup is the OT, A4, Virus, Mx-1
And i’m still clean and enjoy making music!

10 Likes

The OT and A4 is a KILLER combo! You can get a LOT out of it! It’s SUCH a power house! I felt baptized on my first jam with my previous A4/OT combo.

I miss my A4 more than anything. Challenging myself to make tracks solely out of the A4 led to the most intimate tracks I’ve ever made- I’m certain that I will be acquiring the A4mk2 soonish once I get my shizzle together!

The Elektron workflow hits us all like a sack of bricks!

Do you have any music posted online somewhere?

1 Like

Keep this going … making music is balm for the soul … investments in music gear is, if we use it, never wasted :wink:

3 Likes

MUHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA!

naww man, enjoy @Kari ! all good

2 Likes

I have some music linked to my profile, just click on my name here and you can find it. But my tracks aren’t good, i still have a lot to learn! In my description on soundcloud you can see what gear i used for each track. All sounds used are selfmade, besides of percussion, those are usually my TR8 or samples from the Octatrack.

I have made full tracks just with OT and A4, it’s really a dream!

I’m absolutely in love with the A4, the possibilities of synth combined with parameter locks are immense! I tried to do whole tracks just with the a4, but I had problems to create snare like sounds. Maybe I should try it again…
I hope you will get a new one someday, sounds like your really love this synth!

3 Likes

I love Elektronauts but sometimes I worry two young men in white shirts will drive up in a van, knock n my door and ask if I’d like to be saved by the Lord God Elektron :smile:

Nah… I kid…I kid…but this place is quite upbeat at all times.

3 Likes

It’s times like these I think of this thread.

10 Likes

Ha!

1 Like

Agree! It’s easy to forget that there’s a pretty great core to Elektronauts :slight_smile:

This is a good forum.

3 Likes

You have “28 Days Later” stamped above your post… not sure if that’s a good thing…

6 Likes

HA HA!
Gonna get eaten up in here

4 Likes

Ryan has drifted from the collective. Simon has been notified. Simon said the elektronvoltage will be turned up to 11, Ryan will soon be digitoned.

7 Likes