Why is the sampling Feature so Polarizing

I was just reading some comments in a loopop video, and all I could think was FFS…

Do you think that people who don’t like sampling are aware that they don’t have to sample when using instruments that have sampling as an additional feature?

I’ve come to the conclusion that whatever gets up peoples butts about sampling has nothing to do with actually sampling because sampling is literally the easiest feature to NOT use… you never have to be bothered by it if you don’t sample

3 Likes

You read comments on youtube?

20 Likes

¯\(ツ)/¯ most complaints I see about sampling in devices is that many don’t have all the features a person would love to see.

it’s just virtue signalling for “oooh I make everything myself” like anyone cares.

11 Likes

Goats.

1 Like

People who don’t like sampling have no soul.

Or is that drum machines?

Or people who can’t program drum machines?

:laughing:

I guess some people have such a narrow view of sampling they think it is just about “stealing” other peoples music. Chumps.

Sampling to me is like photography or videography, a snapshot of something else which becomes its own art form and medium.

Sampling rules.

14 Likes

Im not aware of the comments but I think there is a general feeling that sampling was better decades ago
More polyphony , stereo , key groups , multi outs , more fx , polyphony and did I mention polyphony.

Modern samplers … 8 note mono
Very few extend into new features ( auto slice , key detection).
It would ideally be the norm for 64+ note stereo polyphony as a base spec.

Ah well … progress I guess ( and yes I know there are the occasional high spec samplers so please don’t start listing them ) … my thoughts are more about base expectation and how it’s weird to be so basic on a few machines.

See … it’s easy to complain about samplers.

Perhaps I’m confused with complaining about samplers or sampling .

1 Like

The Sampling debate is a Tale as old as time…

2 Likes

seconded. as much as i’m enjoying the virtually limitless storage/sampling time of my Blackbox, and the ability to have multisamples plus sync’d loops plus slices in addition to one-shots, at it’s heart it still feels like a groovebox that wants to do groovebox things. which, compared to my Emax II 30 years ago, i do still run up against workflow issues that make the Blackbox slight less-than. someday someone like a Behringer is just going to clone the Emax or Ensoniq or Akai 9k but update the storage and looping capabilities and make a mint

they don’t want to admit that crate digging and actually sampling takes talent

3 Likes

Sampling, or as I like to call it, recording

10 Likes

Yes!

Its so simple huh?

Octatrack is an 8 track recorder.

Digitakt is a 1 track recorder.

Abelton is a (potentially) infinite track recorder.

Easy.

2 Likes

it’s just weird in this day and age, I thought we’d have gotten over some of these things by now… but with some recent releases for the first time I saw people asking for no sampling like if the feature was there they would be forced to use it… like someone will be listing the features they want and then put a ‘but no sampling’ on the end of it like a period or something to that affect wtf… I know people who really don’t like chord features on synths but I’ve never heard of anyone ever requesting for the feature to not be included as if including said feature would prevent them from creating their opus.

look samples are just another oscillator brooooooo :grin:

lets get positive people, sampling is good for you

1 Like

Seems fitting:

31 Likes

lmao

This comment doesn’t have sampling. I hate it

2 Likes

:joy:

I think it is polarizing to suggest that the sampling feature is polarizing.

‘who knows which is which and who is who’

Mods, can we please have an emoji that succinctly suggests that a thread has gone too meta ?

K, thanks :wink:

:rofl: