Why is the MD controlling parameters on the MnM?

When I first setup each machine’s MIDI settings then everything worked as I wanted––which is only transmitting start & stop commands––now the Machinedrum seems to intermittently control the Monomachine’s parameters, such as adding arpeggiator notes, changing pitch, etc. Both projects have the same name if this matters.

:elmd: Machinedrum Settings

CONTROL

• BASE CHANNEL: 1-4
  • LOCAL CTRL: ON
  • PRG CHANGE IN: OFF
  • PRG CHANGE OUT: OFF
  • CHANNEL: BASE

SYNC

• TEMPO IN: INTERNAL
  • CTRL IN: OFF
  • TEMPO OUT: ON
  • CTRL OUT: ON

:elmm: Monomachine Settings

MIDI CHANLS

• BASE CHANNEL: 01
  • CHANNEL SPAN: 02
  • MULTI TRIG CH: 03
  • MULTI MAP CH: 04
  • AUTO TRACK CH: 05

CONTROL OUT1

• SEQUENCER: INT
  • ARP: INT
  • KEYBOARD: INT

CONTROL OUT2

• TRANSPORT: OFF
  • MIDI CLOCK: OFF
  • PRG CHANGE: OFF

CONTROL IN

• TEMPO SYNC: EXT MIDI CLK
  • TRANSPORT: ACCEPT
  • PRG CHANGE: IGNORE

Switch this to off. Oh wait…

This includes Transport on MD?

BASE CHANNEL
Here you set which MIDI channels the Machinedrum will respond and send data to.

You need to make your channels exclusive of each other on the MD and MM if you do not want any interaction other than sync.

I’ve owned many of the Elektron boxes, but this is the first time that I’ve used them in tandem, so I’ve never really used MIDI. When you refer to ‘Transport’ then I’m assuming these are the commands to control an external sequencer?

According to the manual:

If you want to control for example an external sequencer from your Machinedrum you will need to have CTRL OUT set to ON. The SPS-1 MKII/SPS-1UW MKII will then send out MIDI start, stop and continue messages. Pressing the [PLAY] key on the Machinedrum will then start the external sequencer, pressing the [STOP] key will stop the external sequencer and so on.

I would change the MIDI channels on the Machinedrum to either off (--) or to 10-14. I never control my Machinedrum by MIDI except for clock/transport, so I keep its base channels completely off. If you only want to send and receive control commands to either box, just turn the MIDI channels off. You can still send and receive clock.

3 Likes

Thank you. I’m still learning MIDI, so I was under the impression that the BASE CHANNEL on both machines needed to be the same in order to communicate. I changed the channel to -- and I’ll see if that resolves my issue.