Why is Elektron soo bad at Pads

GREAT question

I would finger drum more, AND get better at it if they were at least half decent.
Extremely unpredictable currently, unless you just hit them as hard as you can every time.
Probably still give you a bunch of really low velocities every now and then.

didnā€™t see this posted elsewhere on the forum, but this hack seems to help:

3 Likes

:man_facepalming:thatā€™s some ā€œblofeld levelā€ workaround right thereā€¦

another win for duct tape

3 Likes

For the LEDs; stick the tape to parchment paper temporarily and use a hole puncher?

Iā€™m surprised there is even a diskussion on the subject, with differing views. I had a cheap Korg Padkontrol long ago - splendid pads. Have a Maschine - even better. My Rytm - oh, dear lordā€¦ Great machine, but damn, those pads just suck. And it doesnā€™t really matter, if you are a ā€˜fingerdrummerā€™ or not, they just objectively suck.

2 Likes

yeah if rytm had the pads of my machine mk 3 i would still have mine

2 Likes

yeah that whole finger drumming term is weird as 95% of mpc users are not finger drummers, I donā€™t even know why people bring that up like it means anything

1 Like

I was under the impression most MPC users at least tap their pattern in, maybe not play it throughout their track. I could be wrong.

Thatā€™s what I almost exclusively do. I wish it could read more range than only ā€œghostā€ and ā€œfullā€ velocity (mki).

1 Like

I find my new AR2 harder than Iā€™d like to trigger quiet sounds, and stiffer than Iā€™d like for really loud ones. The range in between where I canā€™t control the level evenly is most likely my technique and weak programmer fingers than the fault of the pads. Iā€™m fairly happy with the AR2ā€™s pads. I wish I could turn the brightness of the LEDs beneath them down a bit.

I used to own an Akai MPK49. The pads on that were much harder to play. They had a 2mm gap between the underside of the pad and the pressure sensor, so you had to push the rubber down those 2mm to get anything out of it. Even Akai, the ā€œkingā€ of pads, donā€™t get it right all the time.