Why don't you play live shows?

A few reasons
1 I have a full time job and am not really involved in a music scene anymore, and there isn’t really one where I live anyway.
2 I don’t feel like I have enough material to perform as Ismail yet. (See 1)
3 I wouldn’t know where to start with getting gigs even if I wanted to.

1 Like

As someone who loves baseball and does occasionally wear ball caps on stage, I’d be curious why? Is it safe to assume this is just a personal fashion taste thing?

If so, baseball caps > turtlenecks. :slight_smile:

Oh god I hate that so much.

1 Like

I’ll be gaffa taping over that shit.

Yes and yes.

1 Like

Cool. I just like being me and loathe concerns with image if it takes away from the honesty, but definitely can dig some thought to presentation of course. It’s like when I played in noise rock bands and my bandmates obsessed about no shorts even if it was blazing hot in the venue ha. Just felt silly…

Leave the baseball caps out of this… It’s a bald mans prerogative :smiley:

8 Likes

Thanks for this thread. Both a relief and an inspiration to read.

2 Likes

First thing I do whenever I get a new laptop. And that’s no Apples, btw.

Moodymann said it best when asked why he still plays wax… “I’m trying to sell records not Apple Mac computer’s”

8 Likes

Woolie hat is the cool man’s solution to that problem. The caps are too chavvy as we say in the UK.

1 Like

I must be a chav then though we call them scallys here in Cardiff (UK). I don’t quite fit the mould as an IT Netwoks Consultant but I like to be different :wink:

3 Likes

Wanting to become a Live PA act is the new (somewhat snobbier) “I wanna be Skrillex”. Everyone and their granny wants to do it, the internet is absolutely overrun with people posting videos with super mediocre live electronic music. And it feels, at least to me, that either the fact that it is live or done with fancy hardware is supposed to make up for the very average music.

I hear live hardware jams/tunes all the time that would be playable at a party if the artist would record and polish their work. If you can make it work live do it, otherwise put your best foot forward I say. The entry level to making listenable (electronic) music has become incredibly low, yet the trend seems to run, not walk backwards.

/end aging raver rant

2 Likes

The internet and democratization of music has definitely changed things. I tend to agree that there’s a lot more music and it’s a lot harder to find the good stuff, but there’s also more good stuff. But then does having an abundance desensitize me?

Definitely with you on the internet celebrity shit, posting Youtube/Instagram snippets and thinking that’s something is not my scene.

1 Like

4 artists? you must live in a small market! As far as telling ppl what I think, I don’t hold back. I’m probably more of a phony if at all to people that email me pitching their music than I am to people in the real world. And in my experience, in any decent music scene you attempt to win at you will find out pretty quick if your stuff is any good.

But, doesn’t matter, sounds like we live in diff countries, cultures, so I can’t comment on how things are where you are at! Best!

1 Like

If I ever bring a PC on stage, it will be to see some cartoons during the liveset.

3 Likes

Does anybody play live on streaming radio?

I do, every week, and it means I can walk into my studio at home, switch everything on and start playing.

I can’t be bothered lugging my equipment along to a venue and dealing with all the things that follow from that. Streaming is the best of both worlds. Perhaps in the near future I’ll also do video.

8 Likes

I don’t, but I’d LOVE to do this. I do the odd live show and lugging pedalboards, guitars… It’s heavy work, man!

1 Like

Nope. I like to feel the sweat dripping off a warehouse ceiling at 4am :wink:

1 Like

Are we trying to guess who this is?
I’m going with Michael Cullen, you can’t change my mind.

Mike Cullen’s Kosmik with 2 x Ks.