Why don't you play live shows?

Yep

I’ve never felt even slightly ready! But maybe this year I will go beyond noodling and make some tracks that are suitable to perform live.

I would assume people were playing along, no?

1 Like

Then it is me who failed at joke. For shame.

2 Likes

#1 reason? Most people at the dance don’t care if its “live” or a DJ set.

I’ve only had small gigs here and there over the years and haven’t performed live with hardware for more than a handful of people at a house party (my own house! Haha).

I have a gig coming up this summer at an unofficial stage at an outdoor festival. I had the choice of doing live or DJ set. After several attempts at starting making a live set on just my hardware it didn’t seem worth the effort when I know the crowd is going to mostly be intoxicated and just looking to dance. Not to mention I wouldn’t have a good option for storing my gear and I’m not getting paid. So really in this case literally the only motivation to do a live set had to come from my own desire to do it. Nada.

Also, the challenge of getting a handful of tunes sounding as good as I can next to commericially released tunes in a DJ mix seems like the more intersting prospect.

2 Likes

I agree man. I believe most producers these days make more money performing live than selling their tracks. People don’t buy music anymore. if you want to make a living doing this you need to play out

lol, I love Armin Van Buuren but if you watch a live set of his on you tube he spends more time with his hands in the air than anything else. That said, he is getting paid way more than I am.

I only like creating. Even back when I played a “real” instrument- which has more rock and roll ability. I’d rather just write/record songs and I hated rehashing the same song over and over again in the name of practicing to ensure a good performance- I’d rather create.

3 Likes

i assumed it was bullocks at first, but you said it so matter-of-factly, and you never know. a lotta douchebags in EDM out there

i feel you, rehearsal sucks, the same tunes over and over…but it pays off if you have a crowd enjoying it. also, the repetition and the pressure to get it right in front of an audience increases musicianship, which in turn helps you write more interesting and complex tracks.

2 Likes

I played too many empty rooms. Basically it boils down to:

I can expand and explore sonic potential often, or I can Groundhog’s Day song by song to impress an audience that won’t come-best case scenario some do, so I can gain exposure in a cut-throat local scene competition-best case scenario I might get paid if I go through the motions long enough.

I do all of the above while waxing social-butterfly. There’s a large stack of things I deem to be unpleasant. Meanwhile- I forgo any notion of a career, go the hobbyist route and am satisfied everytime I make music.

-Works for me- I’m winning constantly

6 Likes

Do you know a band called U2?
Well that’s not me. :yum:

4 Likes

I can barely string two patterns together is why.

4 Likes

That‘s a relief. I would feel most uncomfortable thinking they were hanging out here to the degree I would consider leaving.

1 Like

aint nothing wrong w/ that - we only have the time we are given

This is pretty much it for me. I want to make the best music I can, but I get a lot of personal satisfaction out of making music with synths et al. It does a much better job than a spliff or a pint at getting me out of my head and relaxed.

I do have some desire to share my music, but mostly my tunes get heard by a handful of people, been doing things this way for a fair few years and still love it <3

1 Like

good luck with that! the internet is far more cutthroat than any local scene

1 Like

they all go pretty great together tho

6 Likes

I’ve been known to indulge in that trio, most certainly :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

TLDR Can’t be doing with lugging the Beatthang around…

1 Like