Why do most people make similar music on Digitone?

My first thought was that even though Elektron “simplified” FM on the Digitone I think a lot of people have not dug into designing sounds from scratch.

2 Likes

The same is true with guitar pedals. When watching Youtube demos, I have to try really hard to imagine “what would this pedal sound like if it wasn’t being used to make bluesy rock?”

6 Likes
16 Likes

holy sh*t :fire: :astonished:

I would love if every single person in this thread that used words like “bad, not creative, lazy, presets” and etc would post their own examples of music production so we can all learn how amazing, unique sounding and creative they are.

Should I mention that MAYBE this is the genre of music they like and enjoy sharing it?
Lmao

8 Likes

How dare you ? Everybody knows we use these toys because we’re not good enough at the piano. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Not going into stylistic preferences, but thinking about what it’s use gravitated towards for me. From my period working with the DN, I experienced how it almost asks to be Plocked. Just personal opinion/hypothesizing, to me it’s the most Plocky Elektron for some reason. So even though it does Pads great, it can definitely lead to many combinations of diverse Plocked sounds, with its transient snappy engines/envelopes and crisp sound.

It’s obviously capable of almost anything, but people tend to gravitate towards what a machine offers? (As in, the affordance of it’s sound engine and interface?)

Just to speculate :slight_smile:

Here’s some nice Digitone-only techno (not mine)

3 Likes