Why can't the A4 do warm pads & chords? [SOLVED]

I found that Thom yorke from Radiohead uses tenths quite often, also Aphex twin (who is a big influence for him, so I guess that’s why…).
And phrygian scales

5 Likes

The Goldilocks synth. Except with dirt on the porridge instead of honey :wink:

1 Like

Here is a poly version of your Pad patch (in kit form again)

This is more versatile as not fixed to the 10th interval. Have inlcuded slight detuning on the other tracks. (to be played from track 1)

More open for to playing chords and intervals of users choice especially on the Analog Keys!

Unifono PadPoly.syx (2.6 KB)

Nice pad Unifono.

All the best

4 Likes

Warm ?

https://soundcloud.com/user-475861059/saw6

5 Likes

resonant, glassy.

2 Likes

Indeed. It was made with OT only, with a saw waveform. :wink:

@Unifono, did you use pulse waves only ?
I didn’t managed to obtain nice warm pads with saw waveforms with A4 for the moment.
You inspired me to make something with 15 semitone interval. :wink:

2 Likes

that’s true :wink:
Intervals like that have two advantages:

• you only have to play one note, which can be very convenient on this tiny A4 keyboard (though I love it)
  • it often gives me nice ideas just by transposing the fixed interval around, which I wouldn’t have come up with my usual playing style most likely
2 Likes

haha. At least you tried to fool us

By heart: 1st osc triangle wave with PW completely turned up (I prefer this saw sound to the normal saw). 2nd osc - I think it was a trapezoid with some PWM.
Can have a look later, or somebody who has the patch maybe

Great work all! So glad I created this thread!

7 Likes

Sounds beautiful btw

2 Likes

Currently away from my ‘studio’/ interface (apologies for not having a direct signal); I’m gonna counter with a high-passed pad that I believe still exhibits (at least to my ear), a good deal of warmth. :slight_smile:

1 Like

seems to sound very good. I’d like to hear a proper recording :slight_smile:

1 Like

Alright, here you go. :slight_smile: (Starts off on C1, and ascends through the next two octaves.)

4 Likes

I really like it, especially the chord progression. Spooky but with some hope on the horizon. Sound is also nice.

2 Likes

haha, thanks man. :slight_smile: I like your description; I’d just been referring to it as the simpleton’s take on Holst. :laughing:

2 Likes

holy shit.

1 Like

So, you win.

I took your patch and tweaked it a bit - and i have a pad that I absolutely love! Totally what I was after all this time!

https://soundcloud.com/cloaked-1/warm-a4

Mainly I changed F2 to peak and modulated the cutoff, added some other modulations like panning and PWM, added a bit more vibrato with an envelope on the depth, then finally added chorus and more verb/delay.

I am beyond happy with it. You have made me love my synth again!

37 Likes

now that’s a great sounding pad, nice work

1 Like

sounds great, congrats

1 Like

i admit, i was flat out wrong!

really appreciate all the input and great sounds from everyone.

10 Likes