Why B1 and B2?

After watching a few tutorials I’m starting to get an understanding how the FM synthesis has been designed on the Digitone, but I keep wondering why Elektron have chose to call the second pair of operators B1 and B2 and not B and D?

Most 4-Operator FM synths have them numbered 1 to 4 or A - D. What is different about the Digitone that means they are labelled B1 or B2 or do they just behave the same as other FM synths regardless of these labels?

3 Likes

Never had that question, always was intuitive for me because they are mostly controlled with one encoder. Their settings are coupled.
Having numbers 1 and 2 is important because of the order in which they are affected.

1 always changes first.
2 - either changes after 1 goes through a cycle or after you reach middle of Levels.

3 Likes

from the manual:

We have divided the operators into three groups: C, A, and B (B1 and B2) to lessen the complexity and make the Digitone easier to use. Since group B consist of two operators, the parameter controls for B are macro mapped to both operators.

so it’s three groups with the B group having two operators…

edit: btw, the manual has a very good section on fm in general, worth a read. also, i really like watching the wave forms, so i hook up DN to live and run it through a scope to see the morph of the wave, i have occularScope (free vst) but there are probably other ones…

6 Likes

Thanks, makes a bit more sense now :slight_smile:

There is also a good reason to call them B1 and B2 instead of B and D, it’s the fact that they share the same modulation enveloppe (the B enveloppe).

1 Like

sweet. thanks for the tip!

1 Like