Why aren't synthesizers built into clothing?

Or shoes? Why are my synthesizers all so hard, instead of soft? Why can’t I buy clothing with futuristic soft flat speakers built in? Thoughts?

4 Likes

Alright that’s cool… but what about shirts? Pants? BELTS???

Pretty sure I’ve seen shirts with built in synths but for the life of me I can’t find a link…

1 Like

Why can’t I purchase a synthesizer helmet covered in sliders and knobs?

1 Like

https://www.coolthings.com/electronic-music-synthesizer-t-shirt/

2 Likes

Maybe in the future all the people of earth will wear clothes with integrated synthesizers, and communicate with synthesis as an augmentation to normal speech. All people would be at peace. Or I guess we could integrate them into our actual bodies??

2 Likes

Would be rather cool, I think, like an implant or module that is a sound creation source.

Who would have though Calvin Harris was such a futurist ?

1 Like

I’d like a web of implants sewn into my skin for the ultimate in expressive control, and the sound wired directly into my brain. I guess I’d want a controllable matrix to send the sound sources into other areas of my brain that don’t usually deal with those signals as well.

2 Likes

Hawk yes this is my dream. We can tune the areas of our brain that have yet been tuned.

1 Like

I can get some pretty good percussive sounds out of an ordinary pair of gloves - bit muffled though.

Edit: the idea of seeing someone play some sort of percussion controller pad built into a helmet really tickles my fancy

2 Likes

Dusty percussion. I want the sound generation self-contained in the helmet!

You can get some pretty good self generation sounds already, depending on what you hit it with - but you could always add a few contact mics and run it out to an amp

Contact mics attached to the skull, I bet one could spend an hour or so getting some cool sample fodder with that setup

1 Like

Stumbled upon this today

Because physics.

1 Like

Clothes have a short life, they’re semi disposable. Building tools into clothes is probably less interesting than just building portable tools.

1 Like

These hoodies are great for playing a monotonic version of Popcorn.
You get about 5 plays out of it before you run out of bubbles.

1 Like

It’s not clothing, but comes close. Somewhere I’ve seen Vlad Kreimer explaining this setup.

You can buy conductive thread and “wearable” boards and sensors from Adafruit, from there it is pretty simple to make your own, if you really want to.

Implants? Not a good idea really.