Why are FedEx so bad?

My unsupported theory is that which carrier is best depends on where you are—that would explain why different users love or hate different carriers.

In San Francisco, Fed Ex is the least reliable. I have seen their site actually show a package as on the truck for delivery for more than one day. Sometimes they are fine, but you can’t count on them.

UPS here is generally good in my experience.

If I can, I will ask for the option to divert the package to a UPS/Fed Ex store near me for pickup. Then if the date starts to be pushed back, I am not caught staying home over and over to meet the delivery.

1 Like

nothing comes close to being as bad as DHL when shipping out from Germany.

2 Likes

That’s private postal service for you. Only needs to work just well enough for people not to sue, then it’s all cost cutting and nonexistent customer service when people have no choice. Wait, that’s actually all postal service.

can confirm, currently waiting almost 2 weeks for my Thomann package to simply leave Germany…
in the past I’ve ordered bike parts from German bike stores and it was even worse, so yeah, DHL in Germany wins the “slowest postal olympics”

1 Like

FedEx sucks (largely because, as mentioned, the last mile is all contractors bidding as low as they can) but I do appreciate that I can have packages held at FedEx Office/Kinko’s free. Makes life easier for signature required stuff.

UPS charges $5 to hold at a UPS Store and the one near me is always packed and takes a while to wait in line, the FedEx Office is a ghost town.

I’ve become way too familiar with those exact steps and names of locations :sweat_smile:

On another note, shipping companies here in Japan are all excellent. Cheap, super reliable and very fast even when you live in the middle of nowhere like I do. It’s a dream.

2 Likes

The people of Indianapolis suck.

All of them. Even the Colts. Especially the Colts.

Every overnight package I have from there is delayed by a day. They say holiday season, I said what was the reason in September?

I ran delivery stations before my current job, it takes talent to suck as bad as that Indianapolis Fedex Hub.

I also have 2 packages in China who have been delayed for 8 days because the asshole over there at Fedex hasn’t uploaded my detailed product description.

(Kidding about the people of Indianapolis, but the Colts do suck)

1 Like

FedEx delivered a package to my back porch last night. I can not fathom why they would do it. Makes zero sense. It was outside all night, luckily I saw it this morning.

Yes, FedEx and especially the Colts suck but there’s a lot of cool cats in naptown.

I was going to reply about my thoughts and experiences, but was getting anxious and angry just typing about it.

The only thing I say is, it’s good that fedex will allow redirecting since I live in Chicago and packages get stolen every time. Especially by neighbors. It’s gangster here.

And if it’s delayed past the projected date, I automatically as for a refund so the sender can file a claim. That is the only way to hold the carrier accountable.

And honestly, my packages sent from Thomann were always delivered, even after being detained by customs. But UPS did charge me import fees after the third package.

Yeah, always get stuff delivered to the FedEx store. Go and pick it up at your convenience. Fuck a Porch Pirate. Although, YouTube vids of Porch Pirates getting busted are pretty damned entertaining.

3 Likes

I was just making a joke, have a bunch of friends in Indianapolis and the rest of Indiana.

1 Like

It’s all good! Took it as a joke except for the Colts. Unfortunately, that part is real!

1 Like

Oh i meant the Colts part, the whole Saturday thing is wild. I do appreciate Matt Ryan, though, he gave us a lot of good years and should have had a Super Bowl. I blame Shanahan for that. Fedex as well.

Our city’s local paper had a front page story on our fedex facility’s performance, it’s that bad.

2 Likes

Ryan fell off a cliff like Russel Wilson. No idea how it can happen so quick. The Saturday thing made my tanking opinion look like a real thing. It’s a shame, Colts were a great franchise but have some chaos to overcome.

That was just an all timer.

1 Like

The thing I don’t get is why they always under estimate how long a package is gonna take. It’s always off by a day or two. I’d rather you overestimate and early deliver than underestimate and late deliver.

My recent package is because of weather, which, sure. I’ll take it. But every other package there’s also always an excuse why it’s not delivered on time. Just make the estimate larger than you think you need, pretty simple lol.

1 Like

Really was, tough loss!

Has anyone ever lived anywhere in the US where packages (Fedex, UPS, etc.) are delivered before 5PM? I have lived in so many different places but I feel like I am always at the very end of the route. Where do I have to live to get those sweet sweet AM deliveries?!

1 Like

The past two have come at 4ish but before that it was garbage. Supposed to be delivered at 10 then 12 then 3 then 6 then next day at 8 at night.