Why are 6.35mm / 1/4" sockets still used for headphone outs?

I haven’t seen any headphones produced in the past 20, or maybe even 30 years that have used a 6.35mm plug. I’m always scrambling to find an adapter when I want to plug my headphones into basically any of my synths that have a headphone out.

I understand there are structural benefits from using a larger plug/socket, but aren’t these totally negated by needing an adapter in the first place?

1 Like

I’ve never had connection problems with bigger jacks but many times i had problems with the smaller ones; they become loose with use

1 Like

All my synths except monostation have 6,35 jacks. My phone bluetooth… its more sturdy

It’s not only mechanical forces, it’s also about just sitting better in the socket and making a more solid connection electronically. I had some flimsy 3.5 mm sockets, where I had crackles, if there was some movement of the cable.

I for instance have headphones, with both sizes. The 6,5 mm jack is put over the 3,5 mm jack and screwed to the socket by a thread.

Jack

BTW most of my gear has the 6.5 mm sockets.

4 Likes

the adapter is going to make no difference at all as long as it’s a reasonable conductor.

I’d say 6.35mm is pretty standard for pro equipment isn’t it? Like - desks/guitar amps/effects usually use them.,
I wouldn’t trust a 3.5mm jack very far, they feel way too fragile in general.

i feel like all studio/DJ headphones come with a 6.35mm jack - just possibly with one you can remove the tip of to reveal a 3.5mm jack

:wink:

sort of perspective I guess!

I constantly question why the MPC Live has a 1/8th headphone jack

1 Like

Typically in the past 1/4” was used in pro/high end gear and 3.5mm portable/consumer gear, even today many higher end headphones use 1/4” although in the past few years for some models this has changed to the screw on adapters - most likely to tap into the smartphone market. I don’t mind either kind, but screw on adapters are pretty much a must for reliable connections so I tend to go for those myself, best of both worlds.

Yes, it’s all about reducing mechanical and electrical problems due to the larger connector surface.

IMHO even the weight of 0.5 m - 1 m of a (moving) standard headphone cable is too much for a flimsy 3.5mm jack in the long run.

1 Like