Why am I so mindful of performing live when I haven't done a gig in years!?

I did this a few years ago, dusted off some 15 year old DAW tracks to make an Ableton based live set. The original songs might have had 30+ tracks, but I found that I could get the vibe of the original across with 4-5 key elements. I made all new sounds except for the occasional needed sample, but as long as it had the bass line, the right accents and a few key riffs it worked out with a much simpler arrangement than what I did in the DAW.

1 Like

FWIW @CCMP, I’ve put my name down for the EMOM in Leeds in August. I just have 10-15mins of stuff I reckon. I don’t think it is very good, not sure even what genre is sits in (unless beginner is a genre?!) but I wanted to “force” myself to put a purpose in front of the noodling, otherwise the sheer scope of what can be learned/discovered/played defeats me.

This way, I only have a few weeks to put something together, and practice it enough to learn to utterly hate it. I have no idea if this is a good idea. Maybe I’ll hate the experience and change the way I play with my toys because of it.

5 Likes

Me too. It’s been since COVID started. I play drums by myself in the garage once in a while but it’s not a very similar experience. The only thing that makes it feel like a gig is that the cops usually show up.

2 Likes

I feel like deep down one knows that taking a setup outside the realm of a “practical live set up” (self contrived limited belief) is an embrace of solitude (which can be scary) and requires confidence (resources and hard work).

I did exactly the same thing years ago, the event coordinator asked to hear some stuff (I didn’t have any) but I blagged it and they put me on the bill, I had 4 weeks to put a half hour set together, I think it went ok

3 Likes

@Adelock, @igtheflig and anyone else who’s done that - seriously put themselves on the spot as regards playing live - - > huge kudos!!

No matter how much you practise, the last step onto the stage will always be a leap of faith. So why not take that leap sooner rather than later (or never).

I have to admit I don’t have the guts to do something like that (never enjoyed playing live with my previous rock bands and didn’t do it much to begin with) and instead keep starting new album projects (etc.) that keep me within the comfy confines of my studio and audience of ONE.

2 Likes

Dunno if I have yet! I played live with a band when I was teen, stopped in my twenties. Mid-life-crisis music making. I’d much rather find a friend or two to collaborate with…I’ve been introduced to pair programming late in my career, and with the right person, with trust and understanding, it is an amazing way to be creative and make truly collaborative work…I’d love to find that in a leisure pursuit too.

2 Likes

Do you have a link or more details on the EMOM? Would be interesting to see.

I don’t really know much more than that. :smiley: (Sorry for the FB link, that seems to be the only src of info)

2 Likes

Are you still doing going to do this? How’s the prep going?

They gave me a slot, so I’m still planning on being brave enough to go through with it. WRT prep…I just don’t know. I had 3 tracks I liked, I since binned them for 3 others I think I like more…but I don’t really know, when you listen to it over and over over and over you come to hate it, and question if you only think it is OK cos you’ve heard it 100 times. I’m prone to overthinking and over focussing, so maybe I’m just killing the fun. I am enjoying trying to make tracks, keep them simple but interesting. I think without this to focus on I’d just mess about.

I played for 3 friends to get an idea if I was one of those people who go on X Factor, you know who think they’re great singers? but really they never had a friend good enough to say “listen love, don’t, you’re terrible”. But now I doubt their judgement. One is a jazz saxophonist, another a proper rock/folk “real music died in the 80s” guitarist. Both very good musicians, but neither really into any kind of electronic music…

erm TL:DR yes and OK I think.

2 Likes

It’s not necessarily a bad thing that they don’t know a lot about electronic music. Your audience at any live gig won’t be electronic musicians exclusively. As long as they’re honest (which isn’t always easy with friends asking for feedback on their music/art), their feedback is very valuable!

But if you want to hear an opinion from people who (might) know their electronic music a bit better, well, you’re on the right forum! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Yeah, no. Too timid for that right now. I posted bits to “Current Sounds”. I was actually thinking of a way to impose on a forumite or two to give me an opinion in private at some point, but it is probably overthinking. I mean. It’s a 15 minute slot at an EMOM, everyone there is also playing. It will be supportive. So what if I’m terrible, we all have to start somewhere :smiley:

2 Likes

As the OP, and the one who is mindful of performing, do you have any plans to do so? Anything you want to do?

If it helps at all, Wharf Chambers is a tiny venue (not sure whether you’ve ever been), very DIY and friendly attitude, so I can almost guarantee there will be no adverse ‘xfactor’ reactions.
Plus the fact that you’re simply turning up and doing any kind of electronic music live will mean it’s automatically good at the very least.

One bit of non-musical advice: make sure your setup works beforehand. Practice ripping it apart and setting it back up, and make sure you have absolutely everything you need with you (including spares if possible).

3 Likes

You’re right! For me playing live is much more of a trial by fire than posting some half-finished tracks on a forum. Like I said earlier in this thread, I have a lot of respect for anyone who does that!

I do remember posting my very first OT jams (full disclosure: they were shit) here and the silence was deafening. I kinda knew I still had some work to do. :rofl: (Not a lot has changed in that regard, ha!)

But asking for opinions in private from someone whose music you feel yours might have a kinship with is the way to go if you really want feedback. While a couple of likes and a comment saying ”cool track” does feel nice, it’s not really something you could build on with future tracks.

2 Likes

Since the thread started I’ve been zoning in more on my set up, with a mind to be able to play live.
I’ve been adding in more gear, which means getting familiar with it, etc, that’s then causing my own distractions… the usual trade-off/dilemma. :upside_down_face:

I have two project plans I’d like to get moving with now, that would involve playing live.
One is a collaboration with a vocalist (I still really like the idea of working with other people). That’s a dark/broody minimalist vibe, where I’ll handle seqs, synths and baritone/bass vi guitars. I’d see playing this at regular gig/live music venues.

The other is more of an installation/sit in the corner somewhere, and play improvised soundscape/ambient music… so I’ve got an eye out for an event or a venue where I could do this.

Similar to what you’re doing, I’m a believer in saying ‘yes’ to something and then figuring it out. Now we’re opening up a bit more post-lockdown, I’m going to look to give myself that challenge soon I think.

Also, if you want some feedback on your tracks, I’d be happy to check them out. :+1:

2 Likes

Will do, thanks! Have done once, (for the gala 3 amigo performance) but I’ll make sure to get slick at it.

I do this, and the funny thing is I always conjure up a particular location according to where I’m living when I imagine finally gracing the platform :slightly_smiling_face: I figure it’s a residue from that which drove me to actually play live over a decade ago; more youthful energy and the desire to get amongst it.

The last two times I have played “live” have been in school (I’m an educator) when I gave a short presentation to the kids about my machines and then did a spot of improvising.

All my previous gigging experience was through friends and contacts in Leeds. Opportunities in China never materialised (although I tried) and I’ve been in Warsaw for a year and still not put the social feelers out (though it has been an odd year). Hoping to strike out to attend some gigs and see what’s what before too long though.

1 Like

Yeah, me too! Maybe this EMOM will be chance to find someoe local for that.

Thanks!

What you have planned sounds great. Look forwarding to hearing more as you move forard with plans.

1 Like