Why 90% of users dont have their music in the profile?

As soon as my label/collective shifted to online distribution, my SoundCloud has been pretty much inactive. I think it’s been at least five years since I uploaded a track. I guess because ultimately it feels more “legit” to direct people to iTunes/Spotify/amazon/bandcamp/etc than to tell people I’ve got tracks on SoundCloud.
I should still probably link mine to my profile though, it’ll get me to put new stuff up if anything.

1 Like

My music is far superior to anything else in existence. Thus I feel it fair not to put it into the public domain, and make everyone else look bad.

Plus I’ve never finished a ‘proper track’ :wink:

4 Likes

So so true xenosapien. I guarantee there are a lot of people out there that are full of knowledge & have a lot of skills, yet their music isn’t great. Prior to making music I didn’t think that way, I mean how can someone be knowledgeable & skillful at beat making if their beats are shit? Well, there is soooo much involved & so many avenues when it comes to creating music. Different genres, different gear, different workflows. Bad music could just mean the person isn’t that creative or maybe they don’t have rhythm……or they just like to jam….or….or……

I have a hard time finishing beats, but that doesn’t mean I don’t have skills or knowledge. I just don’t have the “finishing beats” skill because I prefer to jam. BUT I decided, who cares. Jamming is playing live, so by jamming I’ll just get good at playing live. As the days go by my beats have less mistakes, I got better at finger drumming, I can bang out quick ideas, I got better at controlling multiple pieces of gear… I don’t have a lot of polished tracks, but I’m gaining skill & knowledge in other areas that are more important to me. & I’ll admit the first year of beat making I made a lot of shitty tracks, but I did A LOT of experimenting & that’s how I gained a lot of the skill & knowledge I have today.

If someone is being a know it all dickhead & their music is shit, that’s different :wink:

2 Likes

Its funny innit. Hundred years ago, music was about how well you could sing or play an instrument. In 2018, music is about how good you are at ”releasing prerecorded music”. Only people who finish tracks have a right to discuss anything related to making it.

Or could it be perhaps that everyone is free to say what they want, and its the receiving end’s responsibility to decide how to deal with that ”opinion” and not get into all this pecking order / authority BS

2 Likes

In the moment, virtuosos were indeed celebrated 100 years ago. But unless you were a master composer as well, you were all but forgotten after death. This of course changed with the advent of recording. Now that a performer has the ability to achieve immortal status like the composer through recording, things have changed yea.

I don’t post my music here because you jerks would troll me

1 Like

And only artist that are venerated 100 years+ after their death are allowed to give their opinions?

Someone who takes you less seriously because they don’t like the music you make is not worth your concern.

3 Likes

anybody can talk about anything at least in America

I’m not a jerk, and I won’t troll you :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I find it difficult to see a causal link between how much of a jerk someone is, and how good their music is. Those things seem independent to me. I like it when people are not jerks; I don’t like it when people are jerks.

Making “good” music doesn’t excuse anyone being rude. To be honest, I find it much harder to enjoy music that was written by someone who I saw being a jerk on a forum.

~folds arms~

1 Like

Also and slightly OT but since … the (mainstream) internet communication age … everybody started to have an opinion about everything.

20-25 years ago, if you did not know something you just layed low and got on track by listening and learning.

Generalising but … there is something there :wink:

PS: I love the interwebs

3 Likes

Most people find Richard Devine’s output to be difficulty to listen to or not necessarily music at all. But Dude is a technical genius and that is very hard to deny.

Musical taste is subjective, musical knowledge is objective. Never should the two be confused.

6 Likes

I can’t listen to them play the harpsichord in the drawing room, so Soundcloud is the best I can do.

Who said that? If you are responding to me, I don’t think I said anything like that. I think you’ve misinterpreted what I said, or perhaps I wasn’t clear enough. I’m not aiming at any pecking order authority BS. In fact, that’s kind of what I’m against. It’s often the condescending types that I mention who try and shut people up by ridiculing them, being overly snarky and rude, etc.

I can’t see how you get that from my post. I simply am curious about the music of the people who put themselves out there as the big-shot authority on everything.

Of course people are free to say what they want. Again, who said they weren’t? They obviously feel free enough to come on music forums all the time and blast others. I don’t think they feel oppressed. As far as the “receiving end’s responsibility how to deal with that opinion” - yes, of course. I simply mean some context about a poster’s musical taste and output might assist people in how much weight to give when dealing with that opinion.

If somebody criticizes my music and they have beautiful song after beautiful song on their Soundcloud/Bandcamp/iTunes whatever, I think it’s logical to hold their opinion more valuable than someone who doesn’t. It’s very subjective, but at least it’s something to go by.

Who is saying this? You are jumping to some wild conclusions and putting words in mouths. Again, if you are responding to me. If not, I apologize, keep on keeping on.

All I can say is, this was not meant 100% seriously. I will state for the record - that I do not like jerks. I don’t endorse jerk-ism of any kind. And if even Aphex Twin was a jerk, I’d probably stop listening to his albums even though I loved them before I knew he was a jerk. I am so anti-jerk it hurts. The underlying sentiment of my first post was that I am curious about the music of people I see being jerks on music forums. My suspicion is that it kind of sucks and they get their rocks off by being the class know-it-all, routinely ridiculing others on the internet, etc.

I see what you’re saying. All though me personally, if someone is a jerk I could care less about them or their music. I try not to give them any energy. But someone who is helpful or gets my attention in a positive way, I want to listen to their music.

1 Like

If I found out 1 of my favorite artists was a dickhead? They would still be my favorite artist. But I wouldn’t be happy about it!!

Replacing my rambly post with a heartfelt <3

:heart_decoration:

@tengig, I’m not sure I follow. I don’t think it’s superstitious to suspect music forum jerks of making (subjectively!) bad music. People frequently try and compensate for weaknesses, inflate their egos by showing superiority to others around them, bullying, etc.

I’m sure, just like anything there are exceptions, and thus plenty of talented jerks.

1 Like

I know, it’s completely my fault … I’m really actually jet lagged and I’m not able to articulate things clearly right now ^^

Maybe I’ll try again tomorrow :sleeping: