Why 90% of users dont have their music in the profile?

You aren’t releasing music at the moment, but your quote above - that’s exactly why I finish tracks - just to prove to myself, that I can do this. I realized a good while back nobody - not even close friends and family - gives a shit about my music but me. Just seeing an idea through into a finalized form is quite an exercise in patience, determination, and perseverance. It has taught me a lot about myself.

Even if someone is the “I just like to jam” type, it’s worth it to at least make a small EP, just to see how it goes. No rule that someone has to make another one, ever. I recommend it. Now, I keep going just to have a personal musical diary of different periods in my life. Release publicly, or not, but a musical timeline of 20+ years will exist and makes for very interesting listening, even if by myself in my studio, on headphones.

8 Likes

Great post!

Like most I have a hard time finishing beats & I’m sure it’s the same with others … I just like to jam. For me it’s about having fun. Why stress about finishing tracks, when it’s supposed to be fun?
BUT…
I ALWAYS listen to my jams & when I finally finished a song I was so proud of myself. Proud that I was able to call it finished (we all know a beat is only finished because we decided to stop working on it).

I actually started joining beat battles as a way to make myself “finish” beats. To be ok with posting songs with all their flaws. I went from finishing 1 beat in 2 years to finishing like 10 beats in 3 months.

Anyone having trouble finishing beats try out a beat battle. I gained so much from battles.

2 Likes

Good points, especially on the musical diary. I’ve recorded mutiple demos and EP’s back in the day and have many completed songs with vocals and guitar. At this stage though time is limited, and having more fun now exploring this new found gear.

2 Likes

And second that on the beat battles, I do as many as I can to learn. Those were the friends I mentioned that I share my awful beats with!!

1 Like

If i posted my music everyone will take me even less seriously than they do now. I prefer the facade of pictures of lots of my kit to give the impression that i know what im talking about…my music would expose the lie…

7 Likes

Its not like anyone would care either way… I just post gear demos :wink:

I had a soundcloud account but in the end I just deleted everything and shut it down… I don’t believe in posting music online anymore. If I come up with something proper, its better to just release it as a piece of music instead of posting around IMHO.

Anyways, recording music is a fckn chore… Much much prefer playing live!

4 Likes

Didn’t think my soundcloud links worked last time I looked but they seem ok now (the links, not the actual music)

2 Likes

I think you can link to your Bandcamp page in the website link… at least that’s what I tried hahaha

Battles are a great way to focus the mind and hit a deadline. A reason to work late and to put in the hours to finish something.

Remix competitions are great for this too and maybe getting you to take a step out of your usual comfort zone.

One of my pieces that I like the best is a remix I did of DJ Shadow “Scale it Back” for an official competition. I did it in a completely different style to the usual music I make. All drums were recorded live with MPC pads, bassline was me playing bass. Kept is all really simple and stripped back with choice sounds and gave it an old school trip hop kinda vibe.

So when looking for remix competitions, don’t just look for something in the style you usually do. Go try something different. :slight_smile:

precisely this.

the amount of times I´ve had to “defend” 4-5 year old soundcloud tracks (that I had forgotten about, but linked to them deep in some profile page I forgot existed as well) to some douchebag that took offense with me calling out some arsehattery they commited…

my “music” is not for everyone, and I will share it when I feel like it.
but until then, it´s under a different name and I will not just drop a link to it until humanity learns to fucking behave itself.
(so yes, never.)

I have a lot of productions under my belt but none have involved Elektron gear until more recently hence why no linkage.

But I do agree with the sentiment. It’s often funny when someone posts a strongly worded opinion and then their music goes…

Beep, boop, beep, beep x 100

2 Likes

I just checked and I do have my SoundCloud linked but never ‘enabled’ any tracks… so now I’ve added some. Was an interesting trip down memory lane, most are music sketches uploaded for a forum post and then left on the cloud

Really need to post new stuff :grin:

True words… I get the most joy out of playing my instruments. Sucked into an hour or two of jamming, I don’t have the energy to then edit and upload the good bits 99% of the time. But with overbridge 2 that might change as I can stream live into my daw

I’m here because of the Elektron addiction collective. Once in, you never escape. Music or no music.

3 Likes

This is so true, specially the part about friends and family.
I’m not sure what you guys mean by ‘releasing’ music. Does posting on Soundcloud/Instagram count?

Posting your work online is pretty much essential to learning and improving. Though I understand there is also a joy in playing an instrument without the intention ‘making music’. These instruments are fun whether you make music with them or not…

3 Likes

I agree as well. I think it matters. If a friend has horrible taste in music do you let them control the stereo on a road trip? Do you let them pick what show to go see on weekends? Do you listen to their advice when they tell you to change this or that in one of your songs? No, probably not.

If a stranger on the internet positions themselves as a know-it-all golden-eared musicologist, regularly inserting their harshly-stated opinions in threads, I want to hear their idea of good music, and even more, I want to hear something they’ve personally created. It might help to put things into perspective, and give their words weight, or not.

I realize there are certain people who can soak up loads of knowledge without being able to put it into practice, and freely share this acquired knowledge whenever they can. That’s great! But I guess I am always curious about the rude people on here, and elsewhere - the know-it-all’s, the posters with the omni-present condescending tone.

My feeling is, if you want to act like that (which you shouldn’t anyways), you better have something to back it up. Show us what you got. Maybe it will be really good and they can continue to get away with being jerks. Or, perhaps knowing others can hear their music will give them pause before being so patronizing?

3 Likes

Absolutely. I just meant putting your music somewhere so others can hear it, not necessarily on a label.

2 Likes

Heh, same as most others, I didn’t realise you could actually select tracks to highlight in your profile, so have just done that.

But to answer the original question: some people maybe don’t want to share their music, or don’t feel ready yet, or maybe just enjoy noodling around without needing to record anything. All good :sunglasses:

3 Likes

There is also a “having time” issue for many I suppose.

Work, family and jam-time … sitting there DAW´ing around (in my jam-time-time) does not appeal to me that much. Would feel like a job to me.

Recording 2-tracks from the mixer is fun, but making a releasable thing of it is not,… I tried yesterday… stopped it without noticing and started sampling sci-fi flix instead … :smiley:

// Edit
Have to add that I am old (40+ :wink: )

2 Likes

I disagree (again), sorry - I am 100% certain that you would, by hearing my “music”, form some knee-jerk opinion about me that does not reflect that I actually, genuinely, more often than not know what I´m talking about.

a lot of people are more technically-minded than classically “musical”, and without those people the other half would not have well-made records out.

would you go and diss Tony Maserati because you heard him play “wonderwall” on an out-of-tune guitar?
(don´t even know if he can play)

1 Like