Who's using Elektron gear in a more traditional type band?

I quit bands a long time ago, but I did see Sampha and his 4 piece band with a pair of AKs, when they opened for the XX on this current US tour.

He was singing with an AK and Nord Stage, and a Virus.
His KB player had an AK, another Nord Stage, and a Sub37 for bass duties.

• a traditional drummer
  • a sample guy with drum pads triggering samples from the studio productions

AKs were doing the sequenced and poly work.

Same setup as here:

7 Likes

If the Analog Drive pedal counts, being designed for guitarists I could imagine most people using that would be in a band

4 Likes

Been considering one for my Monologue (and future mono, the SE-02).
But everyone I know is using Heat on synths, not Drive… :confused:
except this guy:

3 Likes

Not an actual band, but I use my hardware as my band I guess, mpc 1000 as drums and keyboard players, octatrack as bass and more keys or guitar player. And I’ve been playing guitar over top of it all.
Not live yet mind you, but working towards that!

3 Likes

we do atmospheric, sort of improvised sounds… mimicking weather phenomena, insects, wind behaviour, traffic etc. Califone turntables for percussion, no-input mixer/delay, mc-202, clarinet, saxophone, tape, Yamaha PSS-560, field recordings etc.

used to have an Akai s20, for triggering sounds, layering sine waves etc. but it broke. recently picked up teh Digitakt for similar use, but it has opened up many more possibilities. not a traditional-type band, however

3 Likes

I use AR for drums and A4 for bass needs…on a trio band with guitar,vocals and keys.

12 Likes

Totally dig this!

1 Like

I do .
Contrabass, drum and Keyboard (thats me).
I use the Analog 4 + ob6 and Nord modular g2 and Rhodes.
The a4 is used alot but without the sequencer.

4 Likes

I perform solo mostly, though the OT gets used for backing and aux sounds when I collaborate with other musicians (often in a traditional instrument type group).

Here’s some recent solo stuff with bass guitar, vocals and OT:

1 Like

I posted before a video of a band where i’m playing RYTM and A4. Here another track of a live concert here in Brussels. guitar/vocals/synths…

2 Likes

He had the same setup at AfroPunk Brooklyn in 2017.

1 Like

How about as in traditional traditional: kletzmer, polka, etc?

I’ve used my Digitakt and an 0Coast with a garage rock band. Did an opening bit to bring the band on as well as some intros/transitional bits between songs. Trying to start another project. Drummerless with more electronic elements. Hopefully soon. If I ever learn this OT well enough :slight_smile:

1 Like

I did that circuit for many years. Got tired of all of the groupies and hangers on though.

1 Like

This sounds fuckin deadly, analog drive added to my wishlist

I still need to get one. Now I want to run DVCO through it to permanently squash all Manther gas. :skull_and_crossbones:

1 Like

For real! One of my holy grail sounds is the balloon bass from this Royksopp tune, which is 303 through some kind of distortion. Looks like the Drive can get pretty damn close.

Like that

1 Like

This topic is of great interest to me. I play in a duo consisting of a friend on Fender Rhodes/Bass Synth and me on Hybrid/Bastard Guitar (Think Charlie Hunter but without the talent) playing funkyfied version of jazz standards. We have been running prerecorded purposely cheesy/simple/stupid drum beats from a looper besides our main instruments up til now. The beats have been made in Ableton using samples from my Volca Beats.

But… I just ordered a Digitakt to make the beat parts a bit more alive. But actually mostly to be able to play the beats from the same machine that the beats are made with. I hate having to export from Ableton and load into the looper before we play - without being able to adjust the beats while we come up with arrangements.

So fingers crossed that the Digitakt will become our third band member.

Oh yeah - and I just LOVE that clickity sound the buttons on the Digitakt make. That is almost reason enough for me to buy it:-)

I’m hoping to bring in some Octatrack or Rytm action to my alt rock band, We Used To See The Sky, soon! So far we’ve just been a traditional vocals, 2 guitars, bass, keyboard, drums kinda band: https://weusedtoseethesky.com