Who wants to talk me out of ditching my A4?

all good points

I’m just trying to figure out how much it overlaps with what I already have.
I don’t reach for it often.

Yeah I found I reach for Pro2 for a lot of what I used to use A4 for, still A4 has its uniqueness… the way the sequencer handles parameter slides can be really creative for sound design.

1 Like

My A4 (and Digitone) became expendable when I was looking for something else (Matriarch) in the spring. Looking at your setup you’ve already got a lot of ”flavours” there and - especially if you have it all connected together - I can see how one wouldn’t reach for the A4 very often. That’s what happened with me anyway.

Sometimes I wish I’d kept the A4 as a groovebox separate from my main setup but when I’m not high on GAS I know that A4 wasn’t gonna write me tunes anyway.

2 Likes

This is kind of where I’m at.
The A4 is a pretty pricey point of entry for what it does, compared to the DT if one isn’t using it a lot.

As far as flavors, I feel like I’ve got the bread and butter covered. What I’m looking for is maybe something a little rough or dirty or not as predictable, as far as sound goes.

The Typhon will never leave because it’s so different and aggressive compared to the others. And it’s a steal for the price.

I’m just curious if there’s something else out there to break me out of my norm patching on my Peak or Prophet.

The Hydra has endless sound shaping abilities, but the overall “tone” of it isn’t always what I’m after.

1 Like

Kinda agreed for a mk2 if one is mostly using it as a sound module. A mk1 used as a seq / fx unit / sound module and for cv capabilities is a good deal I think.

You mentioned the 0-Coast, that might be interesting. Strega can definitely give you rough and dirty (I’m not a huge fan of Strega, tbh). If you’re looking for a happy accident machine, I think you can’t go wrong with a Subharmonicon. Not everyone likes it, of course - but with semimodulars it’s a matter of finding the flavour you’re after and probably not expect it to be the most versatile synth there is.

2 Likes

a semi-modular begs for the A4 to stay though.
4 CV outputs that can be LFOs, clock, trig, gates and arpeggiator works too I think and with the sequencer you can p-lock everything, quite powerful even in a full-blown modular context.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m going to try to steer clear of modular as long as I can. For one thing, in my professional musical life, I have to work really fast and need SOME form of recall that doesn’t take hours. Not saying every piece of gear has to have presets, but something I can at least quickly look at a picture and dial it back in pretty close is good.

For my other musical life that isn’t rushed, seems like an expensive, time-consuming hobby, LOL

2 Likes

That’s an interesting suggestion, I haven’t looked into that since watching some demos when it first came out.

I’ll be back!

1 Like

that’s why a semi-modular like the SubH would benefit from having the A4 :wink:

1 Like

“happy accident machine” is exactly what I’m about.

2 Likes

Everytime I want to sell my A4 …I pull it out set in polyconfig all voices to on and to unison and then layer the hell out of it.

I bet if I started using the perf knobs this would be way more fun.

Are you having mk1 or 2?

1 Like

I’ve got an MKII

if I was you, I’d sell Cycles first.

Do you like the Peak better than the A4? I also own both (+Cycles) and I know I would sell them first.

I love the Peak
That’s my workhorse
I’ll never sell the Peak or the Rev2

Actually you should sell it…Worth a few grand in AUS…and someone out there will love it and give it the time it deserves.

1 Like

I might sell the A4 and cycles

I don’t know much about the used market in Australia

Should I post here first you reckon?

Great advice.

Similarly, I liked inputting mono sources but engaging unison to get unique stereo spread. Lots of fun when combined with filter FM that tracks sequenced notes (notes are only playing the filter, since the OSCs are down, using input oscillators instead), especially if you start messing with the arpeggiator.

example:

6 Likes

I’d keep it just for CV outs and as an stereo effects box. Great piece of gear even without the synth engines! And, it’s a brilliant drum synth so you can just do abstract sounds and drum hits with it while utilizing the effetcs for outside gear.

…if it’s a mk1 version…don’t bother…
can’t get u the money for what it can do for u…

u want to invest in further analog mono synth…!?

have a second look and second thought on ur left cold a4…
four breathtakin’ truu analog monosynth waitin’ there for u to tickle them again…
take the simple approach…and plock and fool around without too much thinkin’…
promise u gonna fall in love again…

3 Likes