who uses 100% OT, if not what are your favourite uses?

Gunna chip in on this thread right now:

Had 2 OT’s and still got ‘em. Produced better stuff on one. Got RYTM and pondered acquiring a second but will decline due to previous experiments.

In all, things got a tad too unfocused trying to do live jams with 2 OT’s: I also have lots of other gear running. I’ve never tried just two OT’s and two OT’s only. I don’t really think it would be my lick either; these boxes are so complex and unique that one can compliment another but two of the same creates chaos… unless you are using them for streaming stems.

I have no idea what it is you are trying to accomplish so my advice is, as always, EXPERIMENT!!! The second hand market is healthy so pick one up from there and if it don’t fit you’ll know what to do!

2 Likes

No, I wish I knew how to make something like that but it’s a torus with rotation offset along with a shader that rounds edges of verticies giving it a voxelly effect.

Made in Unity :slight_smile:

4 Likes

agree…and I like your idea of integrating push2 (live) I am trying to do the same…how are you applying Push2…is it simountanouse or is it after you are done working on OT you upload it to Live and use Push?

Cool! Very impressive :wink:

1 Like

ace

1 Like

My favorite use was concerned by that.
Realtime playing of recorders.
I don’t want to use my Octatrack.
First pass is buggy. Can’t stand it.

Usually working on OT alone on the couch or in bed. or working on the OT but through abe, so clips can be grabbed whenever. I’ve had less interesting results trying to compose on both simultaneously but I’m getting better at it. So much fun either way

2 Likes

I like to give each of the OT tracks a track in ableton, then basically turn OT patterns into Abe scenes. If you have OT slaved to ableton, you never have to hit stop to get all the tracks into Abe, very fun. Add a bunch of variations through OT scenes. Add fx(drum buss ah!), automation etc. synths. Sometimes more percussion. Jam in session into arrangement mode.

1 Like

thank you and much appreciate, my friend.
for sharing your process … very efficient and opens up the potential…most sensible approach I have not considered.

1 Like

Anytime! It really unlocks everything the OT is lacking, and the OT is way more immediate (for me at least) to tweak stuff and sequence stuff initially. But experiment and see what works for you. Another thing i mess with sometimes, is coming out of abe back into the OT for resampling :sunglasses::star_struck::headphones::headphones:

1 Like

:pray:

While I can understand that such a bug can become quite a mental blockade (been there myself more than once), it’s still easy to workaround it, isn’t it? Just assign some silent samples to all the buffers and save them at the start of a new project.

Don’t let such a stupid (and mysterious) bug spoil your relation to the OT. It’s still the machine you learned to love … :wink:

1 Like

That was. A couple of hours ago I found a better workaround with Save and Reload. Played with OT + guitar. Still weird, doesn’t seem OS related.

2 Likes

One of my favorite uses of the OT in the last few weeks has been to use it as a parallel fx processor on the same sample. I use the OT to sequence and remix 4 mono tracks, which I recorded on the op-1. Instead of using neighbor tracks I like to load a sample of a synth melody or pad on track 1 with filter and delay in the fx slots. I load the same sample on track 5 with filter and dark reverb. Track 1 is panned left and track 5 is panned right. Now I configure the filters to have slightly different base, width and q values and apply some LFOs and scenes to these values. Stereo filter bliss :ok_hand:
Delay and Reverb can be used to add some additional thickness.
This is of course not really ground breaking but you can really achieve some nice sounds with this technique so I’d thought I’d share. This of course works well with other fx and you can always resample if you want to save up on tracks in the end.

12 Likes

Nice tip! I’m sure it’s been done before on all sorts of gear, but it always helps me to hear different ideas. Yet another reason why I think OT will stay forever. It’s just so flexible and deep.

1 Like

I arranged this whole album on the OT: https://mirrorframe.bandcamp.com/album/cyber-trash-ascension

Most tracks started off OT only, then I added in an old rompler, a Behringer MS-101, and an Eventide Timefactor delay. Recorded in single takes out of my mixer’s stereo output, mastered in Reaper. It was super hard, I basically spent 8 months making complex break patterns and found that the OT is fast for a lot of basic stuff but some things take needlessly long, like after you’ve programmed in 64 steps on 2 sliced break tracks over half a bank’s worth of patterns… Playing it back and finding the exact slice to change, and knowing what to change it to in order to edit it properly, is a bit insane.

Which is why I’m making my next album in Renoise. But I’m keeping the OT for live performances, despite the encoder’s skipping around. After all that work it feels like an extension of my body. Can’t completely give it up at this point.

4 Likes

What’s the old rompler?

2 Likes

An Alesis QSR. Its kinda like a roland jv1080 except it doesnt have digital filters and its harder to edit.

1 Like

Missed this comment, thanks man I appreciate it

Yeah good stuff. I wonder how you used crossfader / scenes or slides for pitch / filter fx, and how you changed patterns…
Maybe not what you used, maybe that’s personal secrets…:content:

1 Like