Which Tascam Portastudio?

Wow it looks in great condition! I’ve been looking into 4 tracks for the last while and can’t decide on getting one.
Made a demo with a Tascam Porta 07 someone lent us years ago, and did such a bad job of recording and mixing it’s always bothered me (I was even more clueless then). It was so much fun though I’d like to give it another go…

1 Like

Congrats on getting yours !
So happy that i still have mine from 1997, it’s still working and i’m going to use it with my DN and M:S.
This will be interesting.

1 Like

Thanks very much. I’ve been on the look out for one in good working order for a while. This one wasn’t cheap, but it wasn’t crazy expensive either (less than I’ve paid for pretty much all of my guitar pedals) and I wanted one that had been fully vetted. I’m not disappointed.

I really like the 244 and 424 as well, but I wanted something compact, and this is the one that crossed my path so I’ll take it as fate. I think it looks fantastic. I think it would sit nicely with the Elektrons and also think it will be a great partner for my incoming SP404mkii.

The plan is for the 414 and 404 combo to be my main rig next year, but I also want to record loads of other stuff: guitar, bass, percussion, flute, synths, drum machines, etc.

It’s probably a combination of a lot of things, like the stage of life I’m in, the pandemic, and not being able to get home for almost three years now, but right now I want music making to be as “playful” as possible. This has such a great nostalgic vibe that I find it so inspiring.

2 Likes

For anyone contemplating four-track cassette recorders, I highly recommend this guy’s videos to get a taste:

Well i think you’ll have fun. I remember using a lot of the reverse recording trick and i will actualize it with the Elektrons !
Playing with recording speed is also good fun.
With these 4-tracks recorder, you’ll get a sound flavor and an experimentation playground.
So yeah…playful indeed.

1 Like

….lightly touch the free hub on playback…WARBLE! :slight_smile:

1 Like

How is the “Porta One”? Very pretty :slight_smile:

2 Likes