Which Sampler in production has best Lofi/Tape/BoC distorted compressed Fx built in

Cheers for the OT breakdown. The thing is i want to keep it simple. A synth a sampler. A drum machine if needs be. The Zoia looks interesting as i could get very close im sure and keep the presets obviously. Never considered that. Im looking for a sampler as it would kill two birds with one stone hopefully. Playback of samples and effects. But maybe im overthinking it. I could just use a sampler like the new Roland 101 and get a lofi pedal? Cheers.

This was a cool discussion (Ambient, BoC) Live Looping - Analog Keys through Octatrack

2 Likes
1 Like

why is PayPal not accepted for the sp-2400?

If you want a hardware sampler and it needs to be in current production I would suggest one of the new Mpc, Live/X/Force. They have lots of good effects for lo-fi and distortion, effects can be stacked and resampling is easy. You also get ā€˜retroā€™ effects like a sp-1200 or Mpc-60 master

1 Like

I think the Digitakt can do some BoC-ish sounds. I guess the most obvios thing is using the LFO to modulate the pitch. Also you can experiment adding some bitreduction and overdrive and some lowpass filtering, and the master compressor at the end.

For OT thereā€™s this old thread on how to get tape wow and flutter: Wow Flutter old tape effect

The idea of using an LFO to modulate delay time is very interesting. In the Digitakt you could also do this with the MIDI loopback trick.

1 Like

Probably because of the abundance of PayPal scams and chargebacks

@sabana octatrack can do dirty lofi well but if you donā€™t already have one thatā€™s probably the opposite of keeping it simple. If you go pedals check out chase bliss warped vinyl or lofi junkie.

if you can deal with computers check out Goodhertz vulf compressor and trem control, and I bang it on a chain with Matthieu demangeā€™s rx950 and nomad factoryā€™s magnetic 2. basically an infinite source of lofi goodness, donā€™t think Iā€™ll ever buy anything for lofi again

2 Likes

It can sample but only from the audio input.

It cannot save audio files into the SD card, nor can it load such files from the card.

Aside from that, there are a bunch of pitch-modulated patches with various amounts of distortion/bit rate reduction/etc. for it and yes, combining it with an audio file loading unit can get what the OP wants.
https://patchstorage.com/platform/ZOIA/

As demonstrated by Cuckoo and others there are also synth patches for it and even drum patches but those are obviously synthesized because, again, it canā€™t load audio files.

Generation Loss from Cooper FX seems pretty awesome too.

2 Likes

Gotharman LD is a pretty sick sampler with crazy build in fx!

Re software. Iā€™d add in RC20 some lovely lofi focussed multi fx in there

+1 on rx950 too

You really recommend magnetic then over other tape sims . Iā€™m tweaked by this now will check it out

Just got my BIM in the mail gonna output my maschine mk3 into it and record into my Burl interface. Iā€™m excited

4 Likes

Because itā€™s a preorder and people are highly passive-aggressive and would charge back instead of asking for a refund.

The company would lose a ton because people wouldnā€™t want to be arsed to bother.

1 Like

interesting, I use PayPal all the time for purchasing and selling stuff but Iā€™m not familiar with charge backs etcā€¦ I pretty. much only use PayPal for online purchases. But I sell stuff and only take PayPal too, I might have to look more into the pitfalls though I havenā€™t had any issues yet.

Paypal charge 2.9% and a fixed fee for every transaction online to the Seller. Its one of the simplest but also one of the most ex pensive systems for money exchange. So not adding a Paypal button to your website is a smart move for a Small business whose margins will be quite small.

1 Like

Itā€™s more about fx than about the sampler I reckon.

Free ableton tape fx rack, not used it yet myself but heard good things about it.

A hardware tape echo does wonders. I use an echocord mini, not expensive and I love it. Would not mind a second one!

2 Likes

I agree that processing a sample with a tape emulator is probably going to have better results than an effect within a sampler. I looked at AudioThing Reels for a while. Though, Iā€™m currently satisfied with adjusting wow and flutter on a Roland Space Echo emulator (Full wet, no feedback, etc for just the tape effect without delay).

1 Like

I tried it this morning (was working on a track with dreamy pads anyways) and was completely blown away how good this sounds!

Usually Iā€™m not too fond of emulating tape/wow and flutter with digital fx, but the Octa delay is just amazing!
I had this nice, very simple saw pad from the Audiothingies Micromonsta already going into a thru machine and then just drew an irregular pattern in the lfo designer (-4 to +4) with lfo depth of 6 modulating delay time (default OT delay time 48) and OMG! :rofl:
Lol, donā€™t remember the last time I got so ecxited over such a thing^^

This really brought the track to another level. :slight_smile:

4 Likes