Which monitors do you use?

I see some older threads on this topic so I thought I would refresh. I am looking at getting some monitors for a large open room (no choice on the space). What monitors are you all using in your setups?

A pair of the new JBL LSR308’s…sounds as great as monitors costing 3x and wide sweet spot and most importantly, sound fantastic. Nothing exaggerated, just great sound. Pretty sure I would have to get Focal’s if I wanted to go up the next level and a LOT more $$$. Sweetwater let us listen between several pair and these won hands-down amongst the 6 of us and we rarely agree on anything. The are built like a tank as well.

Neither my Poly Evolver nor my Moog Sub 37 can make these monitors crack…can easily shake the walls of my neighbors with these:-)

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LSR308

KRK Rokit 8s here

I sit pretty close to my monitors, so opted for the LSR305s. Incredibly detailed and £215 for the pair!
I was shopping for Genelecs. The JBLs are almost as detailed but less tiring (to my ears) and much cheaper.

Hey Subq, how do you find the Rokit 8’s without a sub?

Focal twins here but what is your budget and listening distance? Are you going to use them for general listening also? What speakers did you use previously?

i use Dynaudio’s.
can’t go wrong with that, especially when you’re into electronic music.
transient response is fast, low end is tight and they’re well made.

if i had to choose something which is more budget friendly, then i think i would get some KRK’s, some love them, some hate them, but the latest generation G3 is really good compared to the price, i was never a big fan of the mid-boosted Yamaha’s or the HF boosted JBL’s.

If i don’t have to think about budget, i would take a pair of Trident HG3.
These are mainly usable for mix and mastering, but they translate very good.
Or, my other choice would be a pair of Event Opal, but paired with a good subwoofer.

If you look for a loud speaker system, i would consider something big…
Maybe a small PA System by KV2, they are really good in that market.

yamaha HS8 … nothing to complain about them … bigger in real life than they appear in magazines!

Just bought dynaudio bm12 mk2

They just released mk3, so i only paid 495 Euro each, so halfprice…

I love them, checked them in a store, compared with others, and think i have made the right choice.

Presonus Sceptre8 here, good solid bass, nice detail.

ADAM P33A here -rock solid since 8 years. I know them so well I don’t even want to think about changing them.

1 Like

Still using the Adam A7X. Great detail & pretty low without a sub.
5 year warranty too.

http://www.adam-audio.com/en/pro-audio/products/a7x/technical-data

Yamahas HS8 white :heart:

Genelec M030. Neutrality, soundstage and detail are superb for price and size. Nice EQ features. Bass is straight until sub region (naturally for size). I love them.

I listened to Dynaudios BMx which were too forward
and Adams which, while beautiful, i felt colored the sound too much (id recommend them as a great audiophile value). But that’s MY ears talking.

But anyone should tell you that speakers are completely personal.

Edit: be wary too of the listening environment. mine, anyway, sounded one way on a shelf; completely different brought down off it.

1 Like

…neumann kh120…
…the final solution in nearfield monitoring on broadcast level…

…but in a big room, you’ll need an addidtional sub with them…

…whatever you buy…don’t go for 8"two way systems…
…for that little more punch in the low end you have to miss a lot in the more essential mid and transient translation…even on opals…

you wanna mix for real, or just wanna have fun?

jbl is good fun…dynaudio and neumann are serious tools…and you get the difference only after a while working with them…

best of both worlds is the adam a7 …
biggest bang for the buck is still and always krk…

as long you’re not sitting in a treated enviroment, working on serious final mixes and mastering, jbl and krk will make you happy…

1 Like

Dito.
Yamaha HS8 white :+1:

Check atc if you have cash and want something really awesome.

Focal CMS65, wouldn’t change them for anything, well maybe some Duos. Incredible range, detail and transients… And they go loud when you want them to and have a really flat response. Plus LPFs so they can fit with room placement.

1 Like

adam a77x

the a77x do not “like” untreated and small rooms, but apart from that, they are highly analytical (having two 7" woofers per speaker helps), and non-fatiguing. they translate very well onto club PAs, in my experience.

jbl lsr4328 for me, i always had a thing for mackie hr824’s but the room correction really sold me on the jbl’s