Which monitors do you use?

+1 for the Isoacoustic stands.

Also +1 on the Iso stands.

Just got a pair of Focal Alpha 50 while I used to ā€œmixā€ on dying shitty 25yo Sony and a 20yo Technics ampā€¦
Why have I been waiting such a long time ???!?
Itā€™s like I have brand new ears !!!

So far Iā€™m just having a huge pleasure playing and rediscovering my soundā€¦
I figured I had a permanent analog filter engaged :smile:

Canā€™t wait to do a proper mixing session !!

3 Likes

Im currently using KRK rocket 5 G3. I really hate them, they color the sound and the mix in bad ways. I need a more reference style monitor.

Yamaha HS-8ā€™s, love em!

1 Like

Focal Alpha 65, very satisfied

1 Like

Iā€™ve been using Yamaha HS50Ms for over six years.

I also have the HS10W sub, which I got at the same time, thinking ā€œI make bass-heavy electronic music so I need this tooā€. When I realized the bass was booming at the other end of my room (about three feet away from the speakers - small room), but was almost inaudible from where I sit, I took it out of the equation. Iā€™ve been getting much better mixes without the sub, but it took a lot of time to figure out how the HS50Ms translate to other systems.

I would really love to upgrade to something less harsh. My mixes used to be very muddy since I removed a lot of top end from my sounds, compensating for the HS50Msā€™ high end. Theyā€™re pretty great for mixing actually, but I use them for listening to music and movies as well, so something with an overall more pleasant tone would be nice someday. As it is now, the two sets of speakers I check my mixes against are nearly the opposite of the Yamahas - very bassy, muddy (an awful stock car system and some Bose computer speakers) - so together they work very well. The car system and Bose speakers are probably the most useful to my mixes since if I can get them to sound good on those they will likely sound great on other systems.

So after some research and determining that this thing is basically a real cheap (but good!) KRK 10s knock off, I ordered this Rockville 10" subwoofer from Amazon.

Sounds exactly like my older RP-10s that I keep in another studio. If you just need to extend the lows on some 5" to 7" main monitors, it will do the job for $145. Iā€™ve got it crossed over at 70hz which is making my 17 year old Tannoy 6.5s very happy.

Just make sure you use a footswitch with it, or the outputs arenā€™t properly HPFā€™d (see my Amazon review on the product page)

JBL LSR 2305ā€™s with the LSR 2310 sub and Beyerdynamic DT880 headphones. I have no complaints.

1 Like

I have the krk 10s but only use it to give a slight boost to the lower levels. Its ridiculous if you crank it up. I thought it was going to collapse my house, everything shook :slight_smile:

Iā€™m looking for a pair of small monitors to use for impromtu studio setups around my house away from my main studio. Size is important as i want to keep it tidy and discrete to prevent any whinging from the home office.

My budget is Ā£500 - Ā£600 for the pair. Any suggestions are welcome.

Yes. Story checks out. :happy:

As for small but affordable monitors, the JBL LSR 305 run for $300-$400/ pair here but sound as clear as monitors costing much more.

1 Like

Yamaha HS7 with Adam Sub7, small room, some treatment, sounds awesome :thup:

Definitely Yamaha HS8 if you are moving around. There is also a custom upgrade available for them which (I heard) makes a rad difference to these unexpensive boxes.

For serious studio work I always aim at 3-way monitors without seperated sub. I found it is almost impossible to integrate it properly if your studio is not accoustically ā€˜perfectā€™. My current price/performance favourite is Adam A77X.

Didnā€™t know you need to carry them on your back.

Not sure I understand what you mean. But each of us is different. I for example would never buy monitors smaller than HS8. In this case I would rather buy good headphones.

I think 8 in speakers would be way too big for that room. Perhaps small speakers and a small sub. You could leave the sub at home to fill in the bottom end and sound bigger, and then just take the little guys without the sub when you go awayā€¦
You probably really donā€™t even need a sub in that room, but Iā€™d have one for the times of when no ones around to botherā€¦
P.S. Guys, weā€™re not talking ideal studio environmentā€¦ Talking about enjoying sound and being portableā€¦

1 Like

My pal has a set of those tiny 2 or 3 inch jbl monitors and they actually sound great. Sorry I canā€™t find the model just now but Iā€™ll ask him.

1 Like

Sure, this is a different storyā€¦was automatically imagining around 10m2.
Donā€™t have any experience with smaller ones Iā€™m afraidā€¦

The 120s are the best monitors after their 310 model! Especially with matching Neumann stands. Love Neumannā€¦ blow all other low/mid range monitors out of the waterā€¦ completely!

IK multimedia iloud monitors - cheap ultra portable, good for a small temp setup.

Or presonus 4.5ā€™s