Which hardware sequencer works best with Elektron devices?

well I don’t know the Pyramid so maybe I’m missing something. I’ve never had issues pairing Elektron machines with other sequencers though (soft or hardware). you just need transport and clock shared between them, and all should be good.

I’m wondering if posting your Pyramid/OT woes in this thread might get some Pyramid users to assist:

Most replies I skimmed in there say they work very well together. It might be worth trying to get the Pyramid sorted out rather than looking at another sequencer. I don’t own any Squarp sequencers but my understanding is that they are solid, stable, and powerful.

2 Likes

also, welcome @damyen! :beers:

2 Likes

I’ve lurked into every thread that exists on this and the Squarp forums but haven’t been able to figure it out. Perhaps I’ll go in and ask, thanks! Would love to get it to work since the Pyramid is indeed very awesome :slight_smile:

I wish it was that easy, haha! Thanks for the welcoming dude, looking forward to sharing experiences with you all :beers:

1 Like

Have you looked into the Oxi one?

1 Like

Yeah, it seems wicked and has a great price. Great shout. Only worry I have is the 15 projects limitation. But I’ve been considering it anyway, maybe there are ways to sort different songs in the same project. Have you tried it?

No but Im considering it to work along with some elektrons, hw synths and a daw. Strong likelihood I’ll get it pretty soon.

1 Like

Messed up my previous post, glad you managed to read it beforehand lol. Do you know if people are pairing it successfully with Elektrons? I’m v tempted too, please feel free to share if you do!

1 Like

I see people using it to sequence elektrons actually, if you go in the Oxi instruments discord server there’s people posting their setup. Also some YouTube videos

1 Like

Hey there! You might like the Torso T1. Check out Youtube and the T1 thread here on ‘Nauts.

Quite a few of us have them and I think the consensus is they are deep, musical and well suited to polyphony.

I really love my T1 and find I’m rapidly able to programme complex, layered jams using the Deluge, AK, Rytm and Octa.

Buuuut, before succumbing to gear lust; really consider what it is you’re wanting to achieve!

I previously owned a NDLR and spent a few years working out that what I really needed was a better understanding of music theory rather than gear that I hoped would ‘make me sound better’.

I bought Building Blocks and Syntorial by Audible Genius, watched lots of YouTube videos and listened analytically to the music I loved, making notes and trying to effortfully make music rather than having happy accidents.

Hope you find some hardware, software or free ideas that inspire you and help you keep making cool music :raised_hands:

4 Likes

Hey dude! Many thanks for your thoughts, will T1 seems really cool. Hadn’t heard of it at all, will defo check it out more.

Wise words about being careful with GAS too – I’ve been making music for a fair amount of years without a single piece of hardware though, so I’m pretty late to the game myself :slight_smile: Also got Syntorial, it’s awesome!

1 Like

Before you go out and buy yet another sequencer in the hope that it will work, it might be useful if you stated what you’re trying to achieve with a particular setup and give a particular example of what you’re trying so that we can try to resolve your issues with the Pyramid.

Since this is your first topic on the forum, start by being as specific as you can with one example of a problem that you would like to solve.

6 Likes

Hey, and thanks for your response. I had given up my attemps but I realize it doesn’t hurt to try with this awesome and helpful community here. Appreciate you all taking your time.

So basically, in my dream scenario, I would like to:

• use the Pyramid as the main sequencer and arranger that sends clock/transport data
  • use the Pyramid to send cc/note data to my polysynths for automations
  • use the Elektrons to create patterns, P-locks and utilize their awesome sequencers
  • have the Pyramid tell the Elektrons to change patterns (this is where I’m having issues)

Basically, I want to use the Pyramids advanced polyphonic step sequencing while also utilizing all the awesome Elektron features without having to create two separate arrangements.

In my attemps, I have been close, but either a) had the OT patterns lag, and 2) in the case where OT is master, the first notes of the patterns have been skipped.

Elektron sequencers need to be told early to change patterns (unless just talking to one another). I don’t know how you send that message in Pyramid, but I’d sent it at least one “step” before the end of the bar you want to change after. also remember to send to the Elektron devices the PC on their auto midi channel.

here’s a whole thread on it (which hopefully is relevant, I only skimmed it):

also here’s a video of how to use Pyramid to sync and control DT, including program changes (although the dude kinda looks like a helicopter pilot with that headset haha!):

2 Likes

Why Dream scenario? All of this is already achievable with your current setup. What specific issue are you experiencing?

1 Like

It hasn’t worked for me, and some of the people I’ve written to who’s been writing old posts about using OT and Pyra didn’t seem to synchronise them this way, but rather used the Pyramid to playback samples from the OT. I’ve thought about doing that, but it feels like a waste of all the capabilities of such a powerful machine.

My issues are latency problems and timing discrepancies. A) In one of the main solutions that nearly worked, where I sent PC + 35 (Sequencer Restart) from Pyramid to OT, the timing of the patterns of the OT lagged by less than a half-step. B) The other solution involved using OT as the master and sending CC69 with a pattern value to toggle Pyramid sequencers. This seemed to work and was perfectly synced, except for the fact that the first 3-4 notes didn’t play the first time on the incoming pattern.

You don’t have ‘Turbo MIDI’ enabled on any of the Elektron devices by chance? If you do, disable it and try using the Pyramid as you originally intended; as the master clock for the setup.

1 Like

Eager to try any possible solutions you throw at me tomorrow, thanks a bunch!

1 Like

Easy everyone, no success so far. Here’s two viddys showing you the closest I’ve managed to come. The kicks and toms are from my RD9. Only the 909 hat samples are from the OT.

1. This one is perfectly synced, but no PC because OT needs N35 to instantly trigger PC changes from Pyra. Watch how the patterns immediately change on the OT when I change them on the Pyra when it’s not actively playing however. In this sense, it’s perfectly configured for what I need.

1. Here is me unmuting the N35 (B1) on every Pyra pattern. See how this makes the PC changes work on the OT immediately, but then instead producing latency. So close :upside_down_face: