Which Dave Smith synth is similar to his Prophet 12?

There is one for 800euro on https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de - have to be on the look out for some scammers here though.

1 Like

So you have to say that you really have to be careful how you describe something. that’s really not easy partially when it comes to sound. I had that recently with the analog four, which is also an excellent synthesizer with a very unique character. someday i’ll get it again.

shrill might not have been the right term. I would rather say that I only gave up the M in the end because I thought that it was not so accessible for me or that it didn’t really get my flow going as far as programming was concerned. and when synthesizers cost a lot of money like the M, then I think twice about keeping it and sacrificing a lot for it.

That’s an interesting point with the P12’s sweet spots. I often read that it sounds a bit “washed out”. I’ve never had it in my hands. but some of the youtube clips were really excellent. I like interesting sounds, scapes or ring-modulated sounds and I think P12 can do that well.

2 Likes

This is a good point. The reason it was likely discontinued is that it’s a pretty divisive synth. You’re speaking mostly to a room of people who own and have decided to keep theirs. But there are many, many more who bounced off it. One of the biggest shames with it being discontinued is that you can’t really find them in showrooms or with one-month-no-questions-asked-returns anymore.

On the other hand, I imagine all of us that now love our P12s went through a sort of anti-honeymoon period with it while we learned how to best wrangle it. I know I did. So maybe some forced commitment is for the best?

2 Likes

I had already written to him, but with the ulterior motive that it was fraud. :wink:

Yes, the P12’s oscillators are quite similar to the PX’s (disregarding the PX sample “oscs”) but just as you said, there will most probably not be any module coming.

1 Like

Ok :crossed_fingers: - I was lucky enough to pick one up last fall for around that price

1 Like

What was the retail price of the module before it was discontinued?

1849,- Euro according to Amazona.

1 Like

Starting to look like there’s no going round the fact that you just need to get the Prophet 12. There’s a Finnish saying that means something to the effect of ”if you want pizza, go to a pizza place.” And I definitely don’t blame you.

I had the P12 module for eight months last year and for me it was a somewhat frustrating synth. (Sold it for 1000€, the same I paid for it earlier in the year, too bad about the current prices…) I didn’t like the interface/workflow but there’s no denying I just didn’t spend enough time with it. Almost limitless potential, obviously, but I’m way more happy with the more limited Prophet 6 now. That also probably suits my music better.

That being said, I am hoping to give the P12 another shot somewhere down the road… Out of all the synths mentioned in this thread, it’s that one that is calling my name the loudest. :grinning:

1 Like

Haha yeah sometimes describing why you didn’t gel with a synth feels like walking on egg shells…

Even what I said about p12 I still consider it a fantastic synth but you do sort of need to learn to play into its strengths and it has so many tools sometimes it feels as if you end up in a place that just doesn’t play to the strengths of it as a synth. DSI really hit their stride with quick mod matrix assignments on the P12 so its workflow feels very modern in that way.

3 Likes