Where to REPAIR surface solder | Machinedrum UW-MK1? (Image attached)

Where can I get a machine drum uw mk1 repaired? From what I can remember a piece broke off the surface solder on the psi board in the lower right U4 if looking it at the inside without cover. I would attach pics but can’t due to new account. It’s been so long I can’t recall what was attached to it - if someone had reference pics that would be great or even better a part number!?

contact Elektron support. they’ll help you out.

1 Like

Thank you - I did just open a support ticket and will await their response. Any further input is always welcome!

cool let us know how it goes. even though they don’t make the MD any more, I’m pretty sure they still repair it. they have a handful of service centers, so you should be able to find one near you. or at least on the same continent, hopefully… :rofl:

im also interested as i may have to send my md in for some repairs soon too.

It’s always advisable to contact Elektron. They may be able to repair it, and if it’s a simple job they will also advise on what could be done by a repair technician in your area.

I have opened a ticket and I will let ya guys know.

I don’t have an MD but that looks like a voltage regulator of some sort is missing. It also looks like it should have a big heat sink that’s also missing in the picture (like the big black metal one next to it).

2 Likes

They are still repairing them. I sent mine into the California repair location.
Price was 50$US per start of 30 min of repair time + parts. They stated it rarely takes longer than 30min 60 if your doing a lot.

I had all encoders replaced, the jog wheel, and the function button (cause it’s really the most used button), and it was 1 hour + parts + shipping (return shipping) so about 275$. You do have to pay shipping both ways.

The quoted be 4-6 weeks once they received it, but I had it back within 2 weeks. Communication could have been better, but overall they did awesome work and can’t complain.

Also back up your device as they say they will wipe it for testing. I think they wiped mine because I had Justin’s OS on it. I did get a hand written note that just said “nice snare” with a smiley face.

3 Likes

What is the issue? I can not see any physical damage, broke off, burnt.
The broke off at the lower right corner is a normal method when fabricating multiple boards in one big sheet and break them to individual parts after fabrication.

…or any silkscreen for SMD part or a missing one from the board either :thinking: unless it’s U4? in which case it would be a TH part…

Yes it looks like a voltage regulator and heatsink are missing, as @Airyck said, @guga is correct looks like a through hole part which has snapped off, leaving the 3 legs in the PCB.

Yep - that seems right as there was a heat sink item with another part soldered into the board at that spot.

I take it you no longer have the heatsink? The regulator would have been bolted onto it. If you can find it you would be able to find out the type of regulator and order a replacement, it would be a pretty simple repair for anyone with some soldering experience.

Yeah - for some reason or another I have misplaced it as the MD has sat in the box until now with the intention of repairing U4 solder myself. If I could just get the parts I believe I could do it or have someone local but im not sure exactly the parts.

you could maybe try ask support, see if they can share the part number with you

1 Like

Yeah, Im awaiting their response to my ticket and hope they can provide me that info.

1 Like

The voltage regulator should be a very standard part.

The heat sink is probably going to be the difficult one to find, though maybe not, if you can get part numbers from Elektron.

Definitely make sure to put the heatsink on though. Otherwise you’ll just burn up the new voltage regulator.

It is probably the same heatsink as the other black one. Not necessary the exact same part.
Try to get as close in geometry and weight as possible. Watch for the space.