Where to find some great Toms?

Hi sorry for the bad joke about the tom tom club…. good vibes Naut the only suggestion i see for great Toms is to learn how to make it instead of using samples…… or best use your samples i think, what work for me is tuning the drums. this makes a difference in how everything sits on the mix.

1 Like

I like the toms on this

4 Likes

Have to contribute with a link with some toms…

http://www.boxedear.com/free.html

No worries elektrobot7

Tuning tips? I have tried up to +6, and -2 on the TUN setting, nothing else that I recall.

free modded 606 toms here:

Looks like they took down the LinnDrum/Linn60 samples as well, as they only offer those for sale briefly (like the McRibb!). Unfortunate, as those are some of my favorite tom sounds.

1 Like

Got that Linn60 the other day as part of the drum bundle, really nice.

This free Krikor Ableton pack is amazing, Linn samples in a Casio RZ-1 recorded through lots of settings on the OTO BAM reverb. Some huge toms in there :grinning:

https://www.ableton.com/en/blog/krikor-kouchian-linndrums-live-and-la-noir/

Also this pack of an Exfade modded 606 recorded on to cassette is cool.

1 Like

Hi i think depends on the style of music you’re creating. and imho some percussions or drums (toms in this case) add a lot of movement to the music. and can spice a track that´s why i think the drums must be tuned with the notes you’re using or the key. maybe thats why sometimes are not sounding as you want. if you just use -2 or +6. and if you’re using minor or major scales.

@AverageBear6 what i do a) first to work with the bass b) making - tuning and or sculpting the kick drum, finally the toms (sometimes i use reverb) but panning is key and i just tune the toms an octave apart from the kick and from each other or depending on the scale you’re working you can tune the toms using fifths, thirds, etc. i made it by ear and generally is not so perfect or accurate but i like how it sound. theres a relation between them. and i use 2 toms sometimes 3……no DAW and sometimes my toms are based on the kick but another times i want contrast i go with different ones that works with the track. you can measure the freq. to be more precision. and finally i use subtle dynamic compressor on the MD to glue the drums. ah i forgot i don’t have a RYTM but i use a Machinedrum UW. Also some Nauts here make some threads about tuning drums and or percussion and i think theres a thread for toms.

1 Like

@AverageBear6 Grab this Toms…. all products from Mars $39

1 Like

I have a Linn kit- not sure where I got it from and I like the Toms!

Thanks!

Excellent!

Thanks!!

Greetings elektrobot7,

My music is rock-pop with elements of other stuff: prog, blues, jazz. When I get a chance I will attach the song I’m working on.

I play all instruments and I’m self-taught, intuitive, prehistoric, don’t read music, don’t use a DAW and don’t know how to tune drums. I record on a Roland VS880ex.

I will look into the tuning…

Thanks Pal!

Yeah…. same prehistoric Naut here, don’t use DAW to sequence my tracks, don’t read music I’m not a trained musician, I’m into techno but have a heavy Rock background.
maybe you want some natural toms … i get some good percussions here check for some kits

and for tuning check on what key are. and you can get from there, think you need a sampler to change it easily if you tune by ear don’t worry try just to sound good in relation with your other parts. and check for some info about panning the toms, you use pan to offset from center where the kick and bass sits. moving the toms is the trick i use for movement. hope this helps. Best Rod

1 Like

elektrobot7

Awesome! My roots are Rush, Floyd, Zep: big time 70’s rock thing, but I get restless and although you hear influences, I don’t care to sound like a 70’s rock band. I am crazy about Peter Gabriel, Kate Bush, Cat Stevens, King’s X and I enjoy most music.

Yes, I should have mentioned I really like Acoustic Drum Samples. The other stuff I use very sparingly.

I am aware of Converse. it is an excellent resource and I have downloaded several of their drum kits.

Thanks Bro!!

Rod!!

That is exactly what I do now, try to blend toms and all drums with the songs. I pan the Toms from the drummer’s perspective.

Great we work the same… also i use a SP808 for layering field recordings samples or fx not drums but not the multitrack to record… and grow with Zepp and Rush have some similar influences and i really like today System7 (Steve Hillage and Miquette Giraudy from Gong) , Adrian Belew, Bill Laswell, Robert Fripp and David Sylvian.

maybe you can enjoy some of this music from this site i like a lot because is so experimental and diverse. are not samples but yeah good music! and i have some samples from Prince Linn Drum´s that has been used in his records and other ones if you like drop me a PM