Where should I begin...?

There are 2 guys whose selling each, used. a DT for $850 and an OT MKI for $980. but im not sure how much I’ll be able to really get the feeling of each, under these circumstances.

Do you mean AUS$?

A brand new digitakt costs about $ 749, forget it! And a good price for used OT mk1 is around 800$

I mean USD… :sob: Prices in Israel are crazy! a new DT costs here $1,010 and a new OT MKII costs $1630…

1 Like

:open_mouth:

Thomann does deliver to Israel.
DT is 2.175 ILS, which is Like 544€.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll check them. But usually, with taxes, it will end up approximately the same.

But at least you have a brandnew unit with full warranty.

2 Likes

Good point

damn!!

1 Like

Just found this third-party delivery service as well, could be worth a look. Seems mildly shady but they have tons of good feedback on trustpilot…

https://www.colisexpat.com/pages/en/lpga/israel/thomann/

1 Like

Limitation breeds creativity my friend. I’m a “younger generation” and I also prefer starting with small limitations to write music. I absolutely cannot open up a DAW as a blank canvas and get to work… The only exceptions to this are if I have an idea of what I want already (sound design wise, structure wise, beat wise) or if I’m arranging/recording something somebody else has already written ie “let me just add a fender Rhodes part here”

But sitting down and just “composing” from nothing? Forget about it. Give me a piano any day.

1 Like

Yea, that totally make sense. I’m turning 40 this year, so it could possibly be a generation thing for me as well (I enjoy using objects that do a specific task over objects that can do multiple things & I’m used to putting work in without the help of technology). At the same time I’ve always loved a challenge & when I create something it’s a good feeling to know that I created it without much help or with no help at all.

I agree that a computer can be used as an instrument, especially with midi controllers. The thing is, I’ve played different instruments thru out my life, but I never continued with it. I’d get bored & lose the passion… lose the interest. Then I found electronic music production & felt like I found what I was looking for my whole life (especially when it comes to my love for music). Instead of playing just 1 instrument everyday, I have multiple instruments to choose from… I’m the entire band. It can be as complicated or as simple as I want it to be. Instead of strumming guitar everyday & only hearing the melody… only hearing the guitar… I can build full songs & hear ALL the instruments/ sounds, which allows me to REALLY feel it & get into it. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy playing guitar, I’m just not passionate enough about playing guitar to play & practice all the time. & when it comes to hardware vs software, I’m all about hardware, but I also have a Maschine Mk3… I have no issue using a computer, but I couldn’t make music with just software & no hardware. Sitting in front of the same machine everyday… a machine I already sit in front of everyday!!!

Plus I love limitations. I like looking for different ways to do things, finding work arounds & again I like putting in the work… feeling like I made the song not the computer… & a lot of limited gear forces me to make the music without many crutches.

2 Likes