Where do Poly-Synths go from here?

Oh well. Gas is curbed for a year :slight_smile:

The Korg Prologue is bi-timbral.

Prophet Rev2 8-voice is $1499 new, and has a lot more functionality than that. (Bi-timbral by the way!) But I think I hear what you’re saying–would be cool if they scaled down some of the “mojo” from their best-known synths into something more affordable.

It’s interesting because in interviews with Dave Smith it sounds like that’s what they were really trying to do with things like the Rev2, make something more affordable and more flexible that still sounds like a Prophet. But everyone seems to get excited about the synths with less functionality and more vintage-like sound, like the OB-6 for instance (myself included by the way). You can hear the frustration in his voice

3 Likes

Yep, me too. That and the Continuum.

excellent point! and I should’ve thought of the Rev2 because, well, you know… I own one. :rofl:

but yes, the point wasn’t specific prices really. just that I’d like to see them and Moog and the like do scaled-back and cheaper poly synths. as @pentagraham mentioned, Korg has done it with the Minilogue, and even the 16 voice Prologue is at my stated price point of $1500.

maybe I just really want Moog to do it :laughing:

4 Likes

:laughing:

Yeah that would be amazing. I would love to see a Moog 4-voice poly in the form factor of the slim phatty… maybe not possible but would be so cool

2 Likes

It’s time for a re-envisaged Ensoniq ESQ-1. 8-voice poly, 8-part multi-timbral.

Surprised the Hydrasynth isn’t multi-timbral, it’s already the perfect form factor.

That’s about the only improvement that modern polys could implement.

1 Like

I mean - digipoly- multitimbral wavetable digi synth with dt form factor would be nice.

There is soooo much that can be improved. Maybe I have another view on synths because I didn’t grow up using synths in the 80s … but well … in my eyes most synths have not evolved a tiny bit. ADSR and filter envelopes are nice but … they ALL work the same. This is so boring and most of you will say “well, they what they do – they are perfect – nothing to improve!” – I say: LOTS to improve! I want to timeshift envelopes etc. pp. – Elektron is pushing the boundaries a little bit as I found with the A4 mk2. But it’s also based on 50 year old techniques only.

I haven’t watched too many videos about the new Waldorf synths … maybe they have such options deep down in the menuhell – but then they put such a cheap case around that (looking at you Irridium) and the UI looks okay’ish but still not like a UI should look like in 2021. Elektron has at least some nerdy style as they have proven with the Digis.

We need more companies with fresh young people like us who push the limits/standards. I can only imagine what old grey engineers at Waldorf e.g. are designing UI/UX … but I think it’s obvious. Good old german engineering :smiley:

Technology is ready. The companies are not. Maybe a bit like Nokia who already had smartphones ready but thought they could sell more of their old product line – here we have to thank Apple for their “innovations” and this is happening everywhere I guess. Competition is king.

2 Likes

I did grow up with Analogue synths in the early 80’s. And your eyes are right. They have become more stable but not much else.

I dunno… I’d say there’s a ton of stuff in the modular world that didn’t exist in the 80’s.

But isnt the modular stuff just individual parts of a complete synth. If you get my logic.

AnalogKeys is, in a lot of different ways too

The reason there isn’t all that happening is that evolution is not endless, all things reach an optimum and then stay that way. None of which is to say the things you describe can’t happen, it’s more that it seems to me the majority of people are basically satisfied now so there’s no huge push for innovation.

Perhaps what you have in mind would be more a new kind of instrument altogether than an evolved poly synth.

Evolution is not endless? If we can manage to build a perfect defence system for our planet in the next 100 years and/or manage to inhabit other planets, I’d say this is not true.

Think outside the box. Obviously most synth companies don’t do that. :stuck_out_tongue: I guess if you were able to see what synths are capable of in 100 years, you’d be stoked!

By the way… first step would be – in my eyes – to implement MIDI 2.0 with full feedback etc. like OSC. How old is MIDI? Why are we still using it?

I have so many things in my mind that HAVE to change … rather yesterday than next week. And the stuff is not complicated. But nobody does it.

No, it isn’t endless. The safety pin was invented in exactly the same form that was thought new in the 19th C.entury , but 4000 years before in Egypt. The boomerang has been invented by multiple ancient cultures, they are independent but nearly identical. Because it can’t go further.

Your own example illustrates it: a perfect defense system can’t evolve, now can it?

The point is evolution jumps to new previously unthought of areas, it does not endlessly rework the same things. Microorganism perfected DNA, since then, it’s been left alone more or less. Because it works.

The poly synth isn’t changing because it works.

You seem to talking about an anti gravity ufo synth that you play by magnetic air currents, or something. And hell yeah I want one, but that’s not a poly synth.

2 Likes

I’ll wait until my preordered Osmose arrives.

Until I get it and play with it, I won’t be able to moan and complain about everything that is wrong with it, where the areas of improvement are for future synth designs, etc.

1 Like

And who is deciding that our double helix is “perfect” and won’t evolve into a triple helix one day for even better, more accurate, faster repair / more letters, combinations etc. pp. - you say “well then it’s not DNA but sDNA” (s for super). We have only begun to understand it … there is much to improve and if we don’t do it …“evolution” is doing it but at a much slower pace.

You got me with using the wrong wording when saying perfect. I’d say: Nothing is perfect. You say the boomerang is perfect. I say boomerang evolved already. The main concept was maybe invented and still works that way (analogy ADSR). See… that’s what I meant with thinking outside the box.

Throughout the 90’s I was almost embarrassed every time I took my Polysix on stage. There were loads of shiny new digital things popping up all the time, which were REALLY shiny, and had midi!
Didn’t look like it could get any worse. But here we are again. Unfortunately synths aren’t guitars or drum sticks (and where are they going). But like guitars, it’d be nice to see a synth in the league of a Prophet~6 or Summit, which had the ability to easily swap hardware such as oscillators, filters, envelopes etc in the form of external cartridges.

Virtual reality studio plug ins on your playstation.

1 Like