When MD introduced Boum to the MC

Like old times, I’m starting to feel like I’m in love with me MD again. Uh oh. OT gonna be jealous. That Boum from OTO has my techno fancy tickled pink and I’m not sure if…… wait…maybe I had too many IPAs tonight. No! I had a breakthrough. Really started to understand the hype of that Boum. I love the gate-in effect and the filter is a nice touch but there are definitely thumpable sweet spots to explore live here. I wonder if most prefer this as an end of chain compressor/limiter that is set-and-forget or a constant tweak-spot for live fum. Fun. I meant fun.

3 Likes

:smile:

This thread is useless without audio samples :stuck_out_tongue:

Love me some MD through a good disto.

3 Likes

Same here. Boum is ace, my new secret weapon, the right tool to adapt your sound to the room.
I find it difficult to catch such effect in a recording, so far. But to me it’s definitely a hands on device you use constantly to bring depth and fatness.

On MD you have different outs so you can have two or 3 different flavors, Boum vs internal compressor maybe, so that you can play on the contrast.

Prior to to the MC i explored much drier, percussive territory with the MD. I find that the MC’s (megacommand) chromatic/polyphony mode has taken me into the more melodic side of the MD and that Boum gate effect takes all that melodic stuff that I thought sounded kinda nice and says “yeah, whatever dude” and often returns a much rawer, crunchy, thumping version of the original pattern seemingly keeping just what’s important in the mix. The recently added gate release helps much here. There are sweet spots with the Boum and also slippery slopes.

Is Boum end of chain for you or auxiliary effect or otherwise?

Depends.
In the studio, it’s behind an Elektron, while in live I use it at the end of chain.
But in both configurations it was not perfect.
I feel like ideally I would have a Boum on one stereo out for the fatness, and another out with a different effect to have some contrast.
Still working on this.

2 Boums. Hmmm. This crossed my mind as well. Won’t happen though.

I was thinking about other effects, such as… A Bam maybe? :sweat_smile:

I agree with you, dtr. I need to upload some audio but my smartphone is the only audio recorder I have at the moment. Do you have Boum or a megacommand? I see you have the MD.

Neither. But I love running my MD through a tube distortion and AH.

I insert mine in the master channels of my mixer and it rules.

boum or heat? probably different but if you had to choose, and why?

Heat is nice for enhancing hits/beats I found. This snappy envelope on filter does marvels.
To me, it’s better at subtlety.

Boum has the right name.

1 Like

i sold boum bc its not live friendly

the ui feels tweakable/playable at first but it’s all about the saved states and presets … i loved having cascading presets