When does an instrumental stand on its own, and when does it "need" vocals?

Hey everyone,

This is something that’s been on my mind lately. Long story short I’ll compose a track, with full intention of it being an electronic/instrumental piece, but in the end it sounds like it’s…missing something. More specifically it’ll sound like an instrumental where the vocals were simply lopped out, as opposed to something that can stand on its own. Currently experiencing that feeling with this one:

Now I’m not opposed to adding vocals, since it’s something I’ve done in the past, but I’m just curious why it doesn’t have that “full, complete” feeling that a lot of electronic music does. Is it the mix? The arrangement? The melodies themselves? All of the above? Would love to hear people’s thoughts on this!

Edit: I will say the B section at 2:00 feels a little more full. Maybe it’s because the Moog is louder?

5 Likes

It’s an ambient feel, so it’s okay without vocals, at least IMO.

That said, you’re right about the B-section. That’s because the bass-y line there has a more apparent melody to it that a person can latch onto mentally. The A-section does have some melodic aspects, but much is obscured by delay, plus the intervals between notes are larger, making it sound more arpeggiated than like a linear melody, giving it the feel of an additional background layer.

But this is all up to artistic choice and I think this is all fine in this laid-back ambient context. Your track is a pleasant listen.

3 Likes

I find I regularly build tracks that I would eventually like to add vocals to but I always tend to add the melody I like as a synth track and find it difficult to let go of that synth melody!

The track above though feels fine without vocals. There’s enough going on for me.

2 Likes

If you had not have said you feel like something is missing, then we would not be listening as if something was missing. I think your track stands up. Not my taste in music, but there is nothing wrong with it at all. Sure you could add vocals, but they better be damn good ones. In my opnion many tracks are ruined by sub standard vocals.
If it were me, the only thing I would add would be some feild recording layers in the background to give it a bit of depth and irregularity. But thats just me.

2 Likes

I prefer no vocals with my electronic music. No opinion, no drama, no politics, just music. I also feel vocals distracting if your listening to a complex track. Let’s say Aphex or Square Pusher. I prefer to focus on the complexity of the sounds not a human voice.

But that’s just my opinion, just like butt holes everyone has one.

3 Likes

I’m struggling to see where vocals have a space in this track.

3 Likes

Sounds fine to me. I know what you mean, but I don’t think it needs more. Maybe, it needs an A-side?
I get that kind of sensation like I’m listening to the B-side of a mid 80s Cure or Japan single. Where they took the A-side, striped away the vocals, guitars & drums, slowed it down a little, and replaced the chorus vocals/guitar with a synth melody.
Maybe reverse engineer a big sister for it?

2 Likes

I think your track works fine just as it is.

Imo vocals sometimes f up a good track. It can be so annoying to listen to an amateur singer with boring uninspired lyrics.

Yeah this was the vibe I got too. I’ll take another stab at it.

A great vocalist paired with great music takes the song to a whole other level. Having said that, come instrumentals should just be instrumentals. The early Tycho stuff just sounds good how it is, I think if you threw a vocalist in there just for the sake of having vocals, it would spoil the music.

2 Likes

Don’t nobody go messing up Tycho’s music with some lyrics! No thanks.

4 Likes

Many years ago I came to the conclusion that my endless instrumental noodlings were near worthless elevator music, albeit a bit better than that but still i’d be better off raising the bar and writing actual songs. Aim for 99% less perfectionist daw work, and focus instead on just guitar, good progressions, clever lyrics and vocals - i’ll potentially, eventually record something people will identify as having greater merit, memorability and substance.

Many years later, I’m still doing 32 bar unfinished instrumentals. Need to push on.

2 Likes

I think your track is fine! Maybe, just maybe it’s a slightly different issue. I asked myself after listening to it, what phrase or part would I whistle or sing to remind someone else of your track in conversation. Don’t get me wrong, your stuff got pleasant melodies but perhaps, you’r not missing vocals but that instantly recognisable singable signature hook. Which isn’t even always a good thing to shoehorn in, i think. …or you’re just bombarded with meanstream pop blaring from radios, during your day and they form your expectations if you want or not. (;

1 Like

Cool track! I hear it as a slick cinematic piece like the end of act 2 while they’re planning the big heist. I dunno maybe re-work the drums a bit? What I mean is that you have a strong melodic part that starts on the downbeat however the drum accents suggest the offbeat (sequencer steps 3,7,11,15, etc). You might even be able to get away with no drums.

It’s a real catchy riff though nice work :+1:

1 Like

It is complete.

Our mind is used to the thought that something is “Missing”, that isn’t the case at all tho.

1 Like

Definitely agree. Vocals, for me at least, take away from the music…personally, I think we’ve had enough vocal music to last us 100’s of years, I don’t think we need anymore, anytime soon. :smiley: Again, just an opinion.

1 Like

I agree, it’s been done already. Again just my opinion but I feel vocals are used as a short cut to emotional triggers. I’m blown away when a artist can trigger a emotional response with just music alone without the vocals guiding you around on a leash.

I have felt this way from artist from Mozart to Richard J. I strive to be that talented but fall short.

I remember the first time my wife heard IZ-US from Aphex. She said I don’t like that song in makes me sad. Again no words guiding you along, emotions triggered with melody.

2 Likes

Actually, what kind if vocals were you thinking?
I wouldn‘t really add them either, but at the same time can see why you would want vocals to give it all some sense of forward momentum or liveliness (?) in the track.

I guess I should clarify, by vocals I mean signing words with a message.