When do you make music?

I’m guilty of this as well. Doesn’t help in finishing projects and especially the mix / master stage for me. Aka, the boring stuff imho.

I skip mostly the master/Mix Stage. Why? Because its a Hobby for me. Its relaxe time for me and should Not feel Like Work. The Output is also Just for myself. OK i put it Out in YT and If someone Likes it…fine… If Not also fine.

6 Likes

What a great thread. Can relate to so many of the stories lol.

In my “young free and single” years I’d make music a lot, probably most evenings, I’d sit and get wasted in front of the computer and make tunes, remixes etc.

Those days are long gone!

A responsible parent now lol. I sold all my gear apart from my Push2 when we had our first child (now 2) but did end up getting a Digitakt for some fun away from the computer. Got it about a year ago now but only have time to play it a handful of times. We now have a new 3 month old so that’ll mean even less chances for music making.

However at the start of the year I did vow to start making music regularly again and reading a lot of your stories has given me some hope that if I organise or plan well I can maybe get into some kind of routine. I’d really love to!

I used to spend hours making music: I was in bands - both amateur and professional - and have had more than a music store’s-worth of gear over the years. I used to live for it.

Now? I make music when I make time for it; not when I ‘have time’. Sometimes all I want to do is fire up a couple of pedals and strum a guitar for a while. Other times, I just don’t want to look at instruments or think about programming sounds. I have every intention of knuckling down and releasing an EP at some point this year because I do, when it happens, enjoy the craft.

It’s just not a priority for me any more, as much as I hate to say it. When it happens I do it for relaxation and fun; nothing more.

(Plus both my kids are musical; one is a keen drummer and the other one, although only small, is interested in exploring sound. That’s good enough for me!)

1 Like

Oh, man. 100% this. We work hard enough at all hours to warrant our hobbies not feeling like graft.

Good time for making music: When the Girls are watching: xxxx’s next Top Model or something Like that.

Holy smokes, I’m loving reading everyone’s stories and to see how the thread is evolving. Thanks for sharing your own experience.

In a way it gives me a boost knowing I’m not the only one and that some in similar situations manage to make it work! I got very inspired by some of the suggestions.

First one implemented is to keep the DT in a carry box with a fully charged battery plugged nearby ready for action. And it works thanks for that! Started working on something random, on the couch, right between coming home from work and pre-school pickup while somewhat being still fresh and I came up with something I liked!

Also as suggested I spent some of last night re-organising my samples in the DT, as well as sampling a stack of LPs I put aside ages ago, but only did that. So I could use it today.

Finally came up with more firm plan with the girlfriend to be better at sharing time on weekends. I’m still aiming at releasing something this year but I’ll take it easy.

Def up for beer and jam as well.

THANK YOU PEOPLE

8 Likes

Lots of great tips here both about time management and bringing a productive attitude. I always try and keep something to make music close at hand and use little blocks of time to work on sounds, sequences, etc. Keeps my mind thinking musically, and I find I can get into a creative flow quicker when I’m doing it more regularly, even for just a few minutes.

1 Like

When I was young I made music on afternoons but since I work I’m too tired to make anything good or enjoy it at 100% so now I prefer mornings BUT because of work (sigh…) I only have weekend mornings to play music, I really like to make a long coffee while I feel the sun heat throught the window (or rain sound on rainy days of course!), very inspirational; my brain works A LOT better this way, cleaner music, the other way I get muddy fucked up noises most of the times (like… yes: my brain after work).

¡abajo el trabajo!

3 Likes

Firstly I have to be in the mood; from experience, for me at least, there is no bigger waste of time messing about without really feeling what I’m doing… Maybe that’s just me? But…When I get the vibe I can literally work through the night on an idea, only to pick it up again the following day straight after work. I can go a week, maybe two without inspiration but then I can go for days working on something and only stopping to eat etc!

I’ve tried setting dedicated time aside but I find creativity doesn’t adhere to a set timetable.

Part of the reason I like Elektron stuff is the ability to focus on one instrument, whether that’s the A4K, AR2, Digitone etc and just play that one box without thinking about how what I’m doing fits around other gear in the studio. It’s one of the reasons I love a sequencer on a synth.

1 Like

First of all, really inspiring to hear everyone’s different scenarios, and really cool to see how everyone makes it work, reguardless of limitations. Onward and upward!

I have time on the bus to work in the morning, and I’ve been using it to learn the octatrack and digitkat, as well as compose some short ideas on the OP-1. I definitely find I’ve got a couple more ideas and energy in the mornings, and the bus rides home are generally for decompressing from the day in general.

It’s been pretty hard to put a timetable on being creative (and productive with that creative process) , but I find writing down progression ideas and sticking to a plan however vague keeps the energy flowing.

I don’t have kids of my own yet, but that future is certainly an impending one. I’m really inspired by all of you who have powered through and continue to create when so much of your attention is drawn elsewhere. I think that time structuring, sticking with the practice even when it feels arduous and uninspired and persistence in the face of sleep deprivation is what its all about!

2 Likes

In the week I’m too tired from work.

On the weekend I often start something but never (hardly ever) get it finished.

I go on holiday with my girlfriend and take a couple of small machines and find that to be very productive.

This year we are going to Slovenia and staying in the mountains surrounded by forests (and brown bears apparently). She loves reading so while she flies through books on her kindle, I fly through tracks on my machines!

This year I’m taking DN, Microvolt and a portable recorder. I’m looking to make a 15-30min set of quality music on this trip. Can’t wait!

2 Likes