Whats your MD-Setup?

I was just wondering how you use your MD.

As a drum machine in a classical setup with other Elektron boxes?
Maybe even as a stand-alone device?

While browsing through many threads here, I honestly was surprised how many users seem to prefer the MD vs the AR…

Cheers

flo

• Standalone
  • With Digitone
  • With Digitone for effects only
  • With Digitone and Moog Mother-32

/thomas

You can get really far with just an MDUW, the tonal stuff you can do with it is pretty wild. I played a few shows with just the MD and my iphone pumping field recordings, drones, or full tracks to the aux in to process through the FX or RAM machines.

The MD is the one thing that never leaves my production process, hopefully I’ll never have to part with it. I often use it along side a Monomachine or Nord Modular, also had alot of fun just running the MD into a Jomox T-Resonator

2 Likes

Quite vanilla… Keyboard, (Prophet6, Struthi or MicroQ) or youtube into input A, a standard mix of drums, inpA, and then ram machines on the last four slots. I’ve been using the Ram record on the last 16 steps of a 64 step pattern and turning the trigger off if I like the results. Rince/repeat.

Here’s my setup :frowning:

MDUW MKI (metal section, ram )
MDUW MKII (Drums + sequencer)
Bitstream 3x (controller + arp)
Evolver Keyboard (clock divider Fx and bass)
Blofeld SL (pads)
Virus Ti (lead, bass arp)
SP 808 (textures and D-beam control)

1 Like

I’ve been using my MDUW a lot lately with my Eurorack instruments.
Sometimes to provide a rhythm section but more often as a interactive complement to explore whatever I’m working on.

If all I need is a Drum machine I tend towards using the RYTM.

Lots of fun.

MD as Master with the Megacommand as Master, Rythm and Audio processing station. Digitakt sequences a Mono Lancet and Digitone a Moog Sirin. Each of the Mono-Synths is fed into the MD audio inputs which are a great feature of the Machinedrum.

2 Likes

Ooof, you put them both to rest?

MD as master clock. Input routed to patchbay. Midi-sequencing outboards effects (MM sequencing synths).

are you Sean from Autechre? :thinking:

1 Like

ok are you Sean from Autechre :grinning:

1 Like

Machinedrum MKII
Digitone
Mother 32
Subharmonicon
Leploop

:space_invader: :robot: :space_invader:

:joy:

I pair it with MPC1000 to add melody and chords. Also since I run the MD audio through it I can sample it very conveniently.

Lately I’m mostly using it on its own connected to a Blokas MidiHub with local control off.

It’s not quite a MegaCommand, but it does offer some fun options that aren’t possible with just self-patching. Arps, chance, randomization, and repeats in particular are fun, and I’ve set up separate pipes for separate tracks.

I think I need to get a midi controller involved, or maybe setup a specialized kit to do everything internally, but at any rate it’s working out well.

1 Like

This. Alongside AR2, M:C (just in), Novation Circuit Monostation.

FX is key to my sound. MDUW+ mk2 is always run through a EHX LPB2be distortion pedal. This completely renewed my interest in the MD as I had gotten a bit tired of its sound.

And I have an AH, Eventide Space and H9 pedals and the 2 filters and EQ of the Xone:96 mixer to sculpt and mold all that.

AR is tempo master of it all. I use te sequencers on each device. No triggers sent around. Much enjoying this setup. M:C might replace Circuit Monostation but too early to tell.

Btw, in the past i ve done quite some stuff on just an MD. Have had an mk1 for close to 20 years and recently gotten an mk2.