What's your latest purchase & what are your intentions with it? [pics ftw] (Part 1)

Updated with a couple of things . . .

Vermona DRM3 - Delicious Drums

PCM 81 - arrived today . . .

Looking forward to getting stuck into these in the coming days.

8 Likes

Just had a similar ā€œa-haā€ moment with a new mixer, SSLSiX.
I always record Bass guitar with a DI box plus miked, but the SSL mono DI (Line with Hi-Z) kills every DI box Iā€™ve used. And thereā€™s enough headroom to drive it with the Gain too.

9 Likes

wtfā€¦ didnā€™t know these things existed, I need to check this out right now; itā€™s comfortable to play (slap, plucking, with pickā€¦)?

1 Like

What are you using for a usb host?

Thanks to @boboter & @dustmotes i have just ordered a Digitakt.

Listening/Watching their vids on Youtube has given me endless inspiration. Iā€™ve felt encouraged to make an entire shift in my workflow & from the type of music iā€™ve traditionally made.

Much respect to you both. Thank you!

2 Likes

Iā€™m using the iConnectivity iConnectMidi4+ as a host for the OP1. it routes midi from the Octatrack to both the OP1 and the Digitone. for the latter, itā€™s just clock; but the OP1 is receiving clock and note data (sometimes the OT sequences it, sometimes itā€™s just syncing a tape loop). it took a bit of messing about with the settings to get that going and have the ability to use the OP1 to play the Digitone, but itā€™s working great now.

Sounds awesome but in talks with support as there is significant rattling first two top strings first 4-5 frets, they have been very responsive and working with me.

As for playability I havenā€™t picked up a bass in years so just using pick and fingers it sounds awesome (minus the rattle). Strings are wild at first to get used too as there like gigantic uke strings but def playable. Build quality for a $169 UBass is surprisingly good and looks great. Hope to get this sorted as I would love to add some bass without having a huge full size bass taking up room I donā€™t have.

Hereā€™s a quick video I made for a friend recording the ubass via itā€™s electronics, ignore quality of both video and music. Just started learning the MPC so its just messing around. Posted here to give you an idea of sound.

2 Likes

Just made an impulse buy from Control Brooklyn. This image is actually from Noisebug. I always wanted this since the kick starter. Now itā€™s in my studio! I wanted it for its ghostly dissident sound scapes. Iā€™m quite surprised how easy it is to dial in some funky techno rhythms!!! Itā€™s time to get weird! :tongue:

10 Likes

Just taking this for a spin

3 Likes

I broke down and did it. I just walked in the door with a new Digitakt to pair with my Digitone.

I love the Elektron workflow on the Digitone and have been doing live shows with the DN plus a Novation Circuit Mono and an Arturia Keystep.

I havenā€™t been using my MPC Live at all because every time I think of using samples or doing more ā€œdrum machineā€ stuff, I have been avoiding the mental gear-shift I have to do in order to get work done.

So now Iā€™m adding dedicated drum-machine/sampler material back into the mix, but using an almost identical workflow as the Digitone that I already love. Iā€™ve already been digging in with the Digitakt and initially, I havenā€™t yet had to crack the manual because of my Digitone experience.

What I really like is how many sound options I have now, yet mostly within a single familiar way of doing things (excepting the Circuit Mono) that will keep me focused on the music, even with more tracks of sampler material.

Plus, the two just look so darned good together on my desktop. :smiley:

14 Likes

How do you like your Lyra (Lyra-8 I guess) after the first weeks?

I just ordered a black one myself.

Digitone vs. Lyra - it was a hard decision. The Digitone got postponed for now. Actually Iā€™m more in the mood of purely knob turning (instead of programming) and getting surprised what comes out.

Intentions: using it for some zen-like music meditations by routing it through an Empress Reverb somewhere below a shadowy bodhi tree ā€¦

(okay - the last part isnā€™t completely true: there are no Ficus religiosa in Austria, but I guess every large old tree will do)

8 Likes

I havenā€™t contributed there for a while, but hereā€™s where the other Lyra users have been posting

2 Likes

Well, I havenā€™t received it yet as itā€™s either been lost by the usps or just taking a ridiculously long timeā€¦:frowning:
I guess itā€™ll either arrive this week, or Iā€™ll have to request a refund and order it from somewhere else.

1 Like

Ah, I see. ā€œGot oneā€ meant ā€œordered oneā€. Yep, 3 weeks seems really quite long, because they arenā€™t in the ramp-up phase anymore. I wish you luck that your machine arrives soon/the next few days!

1 Like

Thanks I hope itā€™s here this week too or Iā€™m gonna have to really start hounding the post office about it. I have just been giving them the benefit of the doubt but 3 weeks is a little strange.

I recently got an iRig cable and some FX apps (among others Eventide Blackhole) for my phone.

Intentions: Using my phone as an effect pedal.

The idea is to use it only for break downs/build ups or lofi sound. I suspect the quality of the ā€˜interfaceā€™ will be a bit too noisy for anything else. So far I had a lot of fun with it for a minimal investment.

1 Like

Got tix to see The Raconteurs this week, Iā€™m soo jazzed to finally catch these guys live!

1 Like

My last purchase is a kordbot.
It hasnā€™t arrived right now.
I intend to use it to figure out chord progressions, and play and strum on it into the computer, and the digitone. Iā€™m not that good at keyboarding, so I hope it helps me to get ideas, and helps me to learn thos chords on my keyboard afterwards.
At the moment I tend to play similar chords over and over again - itā€™s something like muscle memory loophole :wink: I hope that kordbot thingy changes this.

3 Likes

Booked a quick trip to the beach for the fam, cost more then an OT but I gotta get the f**k out of here. Drown my feet with sandy water, live in flip flops while eating and drinking like a king is exactly what we need!

12 Likes

Thanks!