What's your latest purchase & what are your intentions with it? [pics ftw] (Part 1)

A Model:Samples that is gonna be the drummer in my live set!

4 Likes

Awesome movie!

4 Likes

Very tasty gear collection. Tell me everything about that mixer! - very intrigued by it

You have a good eye, my man! Yes the mixer is the rug that ties the room together. For a long time Iā€™d thought a dj mixer was what I was looking for in my process, which essentially is live improvisation with some hands on machines.
I looked at many options, really liked the xone db4 Dave mech uses, however I wanted analogue and something aesthetically a bit more to my taste. Also liked the model 1 with six channels and analogue but too pricey. This research led me down the rotary rabbit hole and to mastersounds. No six month waiting list, top sound, built like a tank and has valves which the guitarist in me likes. Got it earlier in the week and had a day off yesterday to hook it up and had a great day in the studio.
In short itā€™s exactly what I wanted, Iā€™m recording out to zoom H5 and I listened back last night - pretty sure I can crop the recordings and send off to get mastered. Very happy with it.
EQ isnā€™t drastic but excellent for balancing and morphing between channels, low end is great but more importantly it makes it obvious when to cut bass from a sound or sample. Itā€™s also very musical and doesnā€™t get harsh. Level meters are useful.
Most importantly Iā€™m mixing by ear and loving it.
Ultimately it doesnā€™t have a million feature but when it sounds so good and suns the channels so well, you donā€™t need them.
Cheers

2 Likes

Thanks bud, does it have separate cue output? Maybe it doesnā€™t make sense to have that on a DJ mixer ?

No but it has a pair of 1/4ā€ booth outputs and a REC output on RCAs, along with the XLR main outs. Iā€™m using REC out and itā€™s fine. Booth outs are going to OT in AB so I can grab loops. Also has an FX insert and return.
For cue it has some cool features - you can set the level meters to cue level on one and main out on the other. I havenā€™t used cue yet as I tend to get things roughly setup then hit record. My mistakes are often my best bits.

1 Like

Thanks for the insight, Iā€™m on the quest for a compact high end ish analog mixer and this keeps coming up. Cheers

1 Like

OT2. Looking forward to getting back to some creative sampling. Cut my teeth on Akai S1000 & S1100 before moving on to an S3000. Recently Iā€™ve been ā€˜in the boxā€™, using Renoise as a massive sampler which works well enough but Iā€™m definitely a hardware person. Just need to pick up a CF card now!

1 Like

Another pedal, and this oneā€™s surely a keeper. My intention was to find a high-quality effects pedal that could easily be moved around my room.

16 Likes

Iā€™ve swung back and forth in this since itā€™s release. I think bang for buck, itā€™s unbeatable.

1 Like

Just bought a circuit and a shruthi 1.

Im already thinking about flipping the circuit, but I think the shruthi will be a keeper. These are to play with the OT, so whichever works best will be the ultimate champion.

1 Like

Yeah, thatā€™s just it. I have an old Eventide (GTR4000) and another very old one (H910) in my desk, but I wanted something that I could move around the room and tweak away from the desk/racks. I like the small footprint of this thing and I like that I can edit it from the computer or iPad when I need to. I have it connected to my VCS3 at the moment and been flipping through the presets and doing some minor tweaking. I keep getting lost in jamming, so I imagine itā€™s a keeper!

4 Likes

Oooft! Yeah man, drenching a VCS3 in 'verb would result in me never leaving the studio again!

1 Like

I picked up a Field Kit FX for my sound design workstation (OT food)

16 Likes

Recently adopted a sweet old lady from Asheville, NC. Plan on spending some quality time getting to know each other, and hopefully sheā€™ll get me good presents on holidays!

14 Likes

Got these on two on Friday. This one here arrived from an online purchase.

Itā€™s not in as great shape as claimed unfortunately. Iā€™m pretty sure I can fix the issues it has but it needs to be opened up which may be a bit of a challenge to do without really making a mess of it. Itā€™s a VCO drum voice that can be played or triggered.

Depending on how the repair goes I may just rehouse it in a new box or mod the current case to be a desktop module. As it is it is a pretty unique sounding from voice. It should be cool when done.

This guy here I found at my weekly visit to the pawnshop

Iā€™m not sure that I have any plans with the this one really. Iā€™ve missed out on a couple sweet deals of these before and this was priced surprisingly reasonable that I decided to grab it. Itā€™s in great condition so I may just flip it or if I get really ambitious I may mod it. Either way itā€™s a cool little box despite its simplicity.

12 Likes

DDR 110 score!!!

2 Likes

My synth and guitar rigs are fighting over it since i got oneā€¦

1 Like

DR-110! Had one AGES ago. Very cool :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Is yours a Max? If so, I believe you can buy the Core and register it to your account and it will automatically be upgraded with all the Max algorithms for no extra charge. I might do that myself, actually.