What's your latest purchase & what are your intentions with it? [pics ftw] (Part 1)

If only there was a stereo model of that tape echo… Been GASing for one

2 Likes

Latest purchase: Digitakt
Why: to get away from laptop

The t Rex replicator (big one) can be bought at Thomann for 440€. Or do I get something wrong. Usually it’s more like 800€, isn’t it?

https://www.thomann.de/de/t_rex_replicator_tape_echo.htm

2 Likes

Buy 2 they are on sale =)

1 Like

They’ve been going on sale periodically with really big discounts. Grab while you can!

1 Like

I’ve always wanted the T. rex pedal however i would be wary of their unique tapes you need to replace!

1 Like

They both come with a boxed spare. In a pinch, I’m not afraid of prying the cartridge open and re-spooling some new tape in. On the other hand, old, degraded tapes can sound quite special (I’ve always regretting changing the tape in the better of my two Multivox tape echoes. The old tapes sounded really cool - lots of noise to process).

5 Likes

Won an Access Virus Indigo for a bargain price on eBay. I’d been keeping an eye out for a cheap one for a while - a Virus B was one of my first synths, but in all honesty I never spent the proper time to learn it and back then didn’t understand synthesis that well, so I sold it when I moved, but recently have been getting really into the Blofeld and I love the kind of 90s sound it’s famous for (but I know it can do loads more).

Got this one for nearly the same as I paid for the B, and it looks much cooler :sunglasses: and the keyboard will be very useful even if it’s not the best quality. So yeah, excited to pick it up, happy to have got a bargain, and I think it’ll scratch the itch for a more “knobby” synth for a while that had been making me think about the Minilogue - if I’m honest I think I prefer a deep sound engine with a bit of menu diving to a fairly basic analog one. Who am I kidding though, I’ll get a Minilogue one day :joy:

3 Likes

Great advice! thanks!

1 Like

I just bought a few more roland boutiques Ju06 and the vp03, just to hear what the hype is all about. I can always resell them anyway. No pic today.

2 Likes

I bought a used tb03 boutique for $200. Thought I relive 90s acid house. Whos with me?

7 Likes

:raised_back_of_hand:

1 Like

I also have a Command Station - still love it but it’s temperamental these days. Been considering a Pyramid as an eventual replacement hardware sequencer for the “tie it all together and play songs” duty.

1 Like

Just bought a Faderfox PC4 to use it along all my Elektrons…

1 Like

i treat Command Station rather as a synth.

its sequencer is really powerful, but it’s optional in my rig, and can be easily replaced with another one.

but there’s no other synth like Command Station with X-Lead ROM.

Finally found a cheap compressor that works brilliantly.
If you play a Bass and need decent compression for home recordings, GET THIS.
Clear as a bell. I’m staring at it as I’m recording with perfect levels, thinking WTF is this magical box.
Going to be doing more home recording, and redo Bass samples for the AR.
I’ve got a bass session coming up so gonna compare it with the compressors at the studio, because I think this box is just as good. And probably 5 to 10x cheaper.

5 Likes

And here’s my other Bass box purchased not too long ago. Toraiz AS-1.
First patch on the box, and a familiar sequence I ripped off from a little known tune. :lying_face:

5 Likes

This thing is amazing. If you are sitting on the fence considering getting one, then pull the trigger. Mind blown - such fun!!

12 Likes

As it turns out, I’m not too thrilled with the Replicator Junior. It’s a beautifully built machine, but as you suggest, the proprietary tapes might be an issue. Scarcity doesn’t bother me - as I said, I’d pry one open in a pinch and re-thread some new tape in - but it’s the quality of the cartridges that gives me pause. The splice point is annoyingly audible. This isn’t a problem on my other tape echoes, save for the 65-year-old Brennell. The speed also fluctuates a bit too much. I’m afraid I may be returning this one. I’ll give it a few more days to be sure, though. I’ve only been playing with it for a bit.

2 Likes

If you are mega into tape machines , I will probably be dropping some cash next year for this tape machine : space case tape echo 2 ( I have never owned one) https://www.spacecasetapeecho.com/
They seem to do everything ive ever wanted a tape machine to do in eurorack format. I am choosing this over the t-rex however I think its around 1000 usd to buy. So depends on budget. Definitely worth a check out AND they will be releasing commercially quite soon supposedly. (check out muffwigglers for more info on that one )

2 Likes