What's your latest purchase & what are your intentions with it? [pics ftw] (Part 1)

Focusrite Scarlett 18i20.
I had an Adio M USB Interface but it’s not supporting Win 10 anymore and always killing my PC.
So I invested some money (luckily only 285€ on ebay) and I’m very happy with the result.

your totally right , Its my gateway to cheap gear. Next on the list is outboard gear. a dual LA2A compressor by drip electronics! and maybe their Pultec clone too!
I am currently building the deckards dream! first time doing SMD , only one small woopsie so far which I can correct!

5 Likes

I wouldn’t call DIY for a Deckard’s “cheap” - less expensive, perhaps! I keep mulling the idea to dive in on either Deckard’s or Kijimi, but I don’t have the time to commit to it just yet. Also, thanks for turning me on to Drip Electronics. I hadn’t seen them before.

1 Like

Got a (used) Modal Skulpt and a (new) Arturia Audiofuse on the way. And a Rode NT1A mic. The intention is to round off this setup (with my MacBook instead of the iPhone).

7 Likes

Drunken ebay model samples purchase…not sure what i was thinking. Time will tell, if it stays.

8 Likes

Just got this with the intention of pairing it with the VCS3 for an album I’m working on. They’re being sold at blow-out prices in some places. I like that it has tap tempo. I’m not sure what I think about it yet, though. I’ve only tried it briefly with my big modular. It’s not too noisy - which is nice - but it saturates pretty easily. I’ll know more when I’ve plumbed the VCS3 through it this weekend.

14 Likes

Cheap compared to the prebuilt! It’s all relative :sunny: :smile:
Drip seem to be the bomb! Cost a bit more than warm audio but the quality is much higher!

1 Like

I need to hear you play a vcs3 through that!! :100:

1 Like

h3000, akai s612

expanding the outboard effects rack
some new music concrete work

2 Likes

It’ll be either this, Fulltone Tube Tape Echo, or Multivox Multiecho. Or any combination of the three. I’m adding a couple more mods to the VCS3 tomorrow and then I’ll give it a go.

1 Like

Flipping hell mate. Killer. I’m saving my pennies for the space case te2 myself! You have some cracking colours to use with that synth! Did you DIY the synthi? I had looked into the phutney clone but I’m on the fence about it! :grinning:

No, my VCS3 is an old MkII with a DK2 keyboard. I’ve had it for many, many years. Recently my son and I have been giving it a thorough restoration, replacing all of the pots and capacitors, doing some modifications and minor repairs. The space case looks really good. I have a mild obsession with tape echoes. My oldest is a very rare Brennell from the late 1950s or early 60s. It actually works pretty well.

1 Like

Not so much a purchase as a fresh download of Dexed, now that I have a functional Linux DAW (Reaper) to make VSTs worth using (though it also runs hosted by Carla):

All of which means that a) I can finally back up the 20+ year-old patches on my DX7 and b) start learning how to programme the thing without fiddling with two lines of LCD screen, and in real time to boot.

5 Likes

Dexed is fantastic. I miss having a Linux box in my studio. Ardour was my main DAW for many years. Alas, I’ve never found a way to run Kyma in a Linux OS, so my main machine is a Mac nowadays.

4 Likes

Check out AudioKit Synth One if you haven’t already. Very cool, feature packed, free Open Source synth app for iOS (iPhone support added earlier this year).

https://audiokitpro.com/synth/

1 Like

I fiddled around with Ardour a bit for years, but Reaper seems to like my JACK setup better, for some reason, as Ardour would constantly throw up xruns where Reaper with Cadence is much more forgiving, and hence usable.

1 Like

Wow, you weren’t kidding! This is a very nice synth, thank you.

1 Like

My latest purchase was an Organelle by Critter & Guitari. I was very tempted to start with Eurorack but took a step back. It’s just a very expensive rabbit hole. The Organelle is quite an interesting addition to my Digitakt/Digitone setup because of it’s flexibility - it can really be anything and it hasn’t disappointed me yet. Very fun to sample.

1 Like

T-rex filed for bankrupcy 2 month ago, i presume they are clearing out inventory.

2 Likes

Yeah, I read about that back in March. I have hope that they won’t vanish… The original founders have bought back the brand and are re-structuring the company: https://www.musicradar.com/news/t-rex-engineering-is-far-from-extinct-as-it-announces-reboot (this may be why the price has gone back up at Sweetwater)