What's your latest purchase & what are your intentions with it? [pics ftw] (Part 1)

1992 Cannondale M1000. My intentions are to restore with a few tasteful updates and ride the shit out of it.

21 Likes

For shame. :wink:

Did you get a Grid too?

And something I assume but donā€™t want to make assumptions about that thing: Can it run multiple scripts at a time?

Picked up an A4 mkII and the judgement is still pending. So far Iā€™ve only been exploring the synth engine and havenā€™t started playing with the sequencer which I recognize is where a lot of the special sauce is.

I almost returned it on day one because for some reason it just sounded terrible through headphones (ATH-50x) but once I added it to the collective and heard it through my monitors it sounded fine. Still working to coax useable sounds for my style (ambient and cinematic type stuff). Canā€™t wait to pair it with some of my semi-modular gear this weekend!

1 Like

Digitone & Mungo D0ā€¦ bought both while highly intoxicated last night :woozy_face:

Was a nice surprise to wake up to though :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

2 amazing new buys:

1. Digitech Polara. GOOD LORD this thing is ā‚¬100??? What a stunning little bastard. Warm, rich and wildly enveloping reverb. The reverb feels so natural, like itā€™s built in to everything that plays through it. Like it was just meant to be there. I mean theyā€™re Lexicon presets. Duh. Highly recommend. Coupled with my El Capistan Iā€™m in stoner heaven. The reverse is pretty much useless for me, and ā€œtrailsā€ mode only works for on/off not mode switching, but thatā€™s the only negatives and theyā€™re totally inconsequential.

2. Prophet Rev2 8 Voice - Well this should arrive today or tomorrow and I plan on not hating it. :rofl: I just have to put it into a track and release it ASAP so I donā€™t hate myself for spending over 2 months rent on it.

4 Likes

Gotta be patient!!! :slight_smile: I at first thought it sounded mediocre at best when I got mine and was well disappointed, now itā€™s my favourite sound & synth by a mile! :slight_smile:

Play with the OSC volumes (turn them down) and the overdrive (turn it up a little), use both filters (eg filter 2 set to 4-pole LP and use thatā€¦or set to peak and sweep the frequencies to fatten the soundā€¦), turn the dials SLOWLY, the A4 has many different worlds hiding between those 0-100something values.

Also, start with one Oscillator and see how far that can take you (real far actually lol), only then add the sub-osc and then add the second OSCā€¦the versatility of the A4 is sick! :slight_smile:

• donā€™t forget to use some of the effects and tweak their settings also, I love the reverb and just a little chorus on my pad sounds. Hope youā€™ll fall in love :wink: h
3 Likes

Reading your excitement for it on here (MPC Live thread etc) is one of the reasons I decided to go for it lol. So far so good, Iā€™m still getting used to the UI and I sort of wish it would feature some of the hardware shortcuts the older MPCs feature (eg Shift + Pad for track selection etc) but of course it seems super powerful. And it sounds good!

Any tips & tricks, Iā€™d be a taker :slight_smile:

1 Like

Behringer Neutron.

that is a precise piece of manufacturing! extremely versatile and a perfect companion for op-z. canā€˜t get over the smoothness of the pots :upside_down_face:

2 Likes
2 Likes

No, but it does seem like an amazing combo. Might pick one up later if I like the norns.

There are layers of functionality in the system as I understand. Basically you have access to some things while running engines, like recording for example, and a native engine called softcut which lets you do stuff on top of the supercollider scripts.

2 Likes

Boss!!! Thanks!

Had to leave my old double bass behind in Wales when we moved to Norway. Finally bought myself a new one. Just need to find a band to play it in now.

Any bass players out there that have never tried an upright - I highly recommend it. Such a wonderful feeling instrument to play (once you get over the feeling that youā€™re hugging a wardrobe).

28 Likes

Just bought my first mpcā€¦ actually kinda loving it already having just had a five minute play. Suspect if I get into Iā€™ll end up getting a 1000 instead, but 500s are just so cheap at the moment for what they are it seemed stupid not to check out the whole MPC vibe and see if I get on with it.

feel a bit more comfortable taking a nine year old battered mpc to the beach than my 'taktā€¦
I can see why everyone replaces the pads already thoā€¦

7 Likes

The ā€œHaloā€ algorithm on the Polara is the best shimmer reverb that Iā€™ve ever heard.

1 Like

Is it nowā€¦

I was looking into what reverb was used on Rachels Song and it seems it was a Lexicon. Will check this out.

Mr. Black Eterna. Always Mr. Black Eterna.

But thatā€™s mono only right? Great for guitar Iā€™m sure but for, say, synth pads Iā€™d definitely go Polara.

yeah, thatā€™s the downside. I have a Mercury 7 which has a nice shimmer for Stereo, though itā€™s not itā€™s main strength.

1 Like

Nice examples here-

EDIT: I believe heā€™s using Halo starting at 3:19 and 10:23. It sounds like an integral part of the sound, not artificially laid on top like the BigSky and most others.

2 Likes

does sound very niceā€¦ but then, I suspect you could put on OB-Xa through a cup and string and itā€™d still sound incredible.

4 Likes