What's your latest purchase & what are your intentions with it? [pics ftw] (Part 1)

Decided to give my AKAI MPC X a new MPC2000 XL look

Choose your skin

MPC STUFF

11 Likes

Awesome headphones!

I´ve made the same experience with Thomann: every single piece of gear I bought had scratches and looked like b-stock. They offer the lowest price - but often sell b-stock as new devices (in my experience).

1 Like

Added an On-Stage WSR7500B Rack Cabinet to a secondary studio setup:

2 Likes

Death Industrial

I really wanted something very minimalist, and that I could get real wacky and intuitive rhythmic pulses out of for a more straightforward industrial/minimal dub sound. I think this did it. I had the ESX for years, and I was just over the sample based workflow. Between the OT and the ESX1, I needed something very different and simple. So far I’m loving it.

I keep feeling like the parts buttons should be a keyboard somehow, but I cant seem to figure it out. That would open up a ton of fun for me though

11 Likes

Added a Faderfox for some hands on control. I’m trying to dig deeper into the Nord Drum 2…what a wonderful little box of great sounds and satisfying buttons :smiley:

9 Likes

Done a nice swap my minilogue & monologue for a moog sub phatty!
Keys are bit yellow needs a clean but seems like a fair swap

13 Likes

Nice combo! The A4mkii cv out can add some rhythmic funks with plocked lfos and envelopes controlling the filter, leaving the subs lfo unsynced and assignable to pitch for some funky mod wheel expression…let me know if you plan on controlling the pitch and gate from the A4 as well…i can check the calibration settings for the voltage range on mine for a starting point…

1 Like

thanks, I honestly know nothing about CV and what benefits it has, i know the AF can control the moog, something new for me to learn about… might have to ask you a few questions a bit later!

Iet me know when you have the 4 x 6.5 TS cables and wanna try…i will pm you some setting👍

1 Like

I’ve got one and it takes a few hours to figure out, but it’s pretty straight forward once you plug everything in and configure the software routing matrix. Make sure you label the ins and outs, as it can get confusing. It’s rock solid once set up. I’ve got AR, A4, DN, Volca Drum and Avalon all connected without issues. The only time it goes wrong is when I’ve not configured a midi setting properly on one of the synths. Give me a shout if you get stuck :smiley:

3 Likes

A Machinedrum and Monomachine came up for good prices on the local auction site. I managed not to buy either.

2 Likes

Nice one. I love my phatty since day 1.

What is really cool is sending in another synth through the input, detuning that signal and using the moogs filter. I get some really nice tones out of it

1 Like

It is first time I have owned a moog, Only had a quick go on it today
but I can see why people love them already. I might have to give that a try!

So here the Azzam Bells MPA019 on some experimenting.

4 Likes

Hi Rob

The MIO is a routing matrix. You can have any piece of hardware or software as the master clock. Once it’s connected to your computer via USB, you can route any piece of kit to anything within that network, you just need to tell the MIO software where each signal needs to go. e.g. My AR mk2 sends it’s clock to every piece of gear in my network chain, so when I press start and stop, everything else follows this behaviour.

You can save the settings for different hardware/software configs, so you can recall any setup config at any time. The only real limitation is the number of physical ports on the MIO i.e. if you have more hardware than ports. You can always use MIDI THRU in these cases, but might be limited to the types of MIDI messages that can pass through, dependent upon the hardware midi settings.

Hope that makes sense?

Cheers

lol. you will struggle with connecting all of this without a midi switching hub or similar - which could get really confusing when trying to assign which channel goes where in the MIO matrix… In reality, you’re not going to likely need the use of all of this kit in one session…but maybe you will…? :joy:

Do you know of something that can take off the yellow?

I had planned to have all this setup as a stationary studio JIMBO so as I could just set it all up and leave it, most of the gear I’d probably only use for sound design my main aim tho is live sets but I think all this gear is overkill for that lol… Maybe I’ll choose 5-6 synths/FX/Drums for live and sell off some others. I’ll have a go and see how many I can initially setup, maybe I could connect OVERHUB to one of the MIO XL ports and add synths that way haha we’ll see.
Not a fan of midi thru so I’ll just pick my best synths etc and leave out or all the rest. The MIO XL seems to be able to do a lot for the price can’t wait to set things up and get started on live jams and producing again.

Rob

1 Like

No I don’t know of anything, I would like to know myself…
I wonder if is better to just replace them instead?

Sounds sensible Rob. I hear you on the hardware overdose - been there and am pretty much settled with my current set up. Let me know how it goes with the Overhub - hopefully the USB connection doesn’t snap off like mine did years ago lolz.