What's your latest purchase & what are your intentions with it? [pics ftw] (Part 1)

Trogotronic in the house.
Intention - opening portals to sonic hell…

6 Likes

You mean like @craig and his beard?

3 Likes

Awesome, been eyeing those for a while…

I’m fully aware this is a weird one, but I’m putting it up in case anyone else is scratching their head over this.

It’s HDMI Audio Separator. So you plug a HDMI cable in and then it provides you with a Coax RCA and Optical Stereo out. So I can run this natively in windows on top of another sound card and route the output to an MPC (or anything else with digital) £17 dirt cheap and it just works. 16/24 41/48, perfect for older hardware. They give a USB to 5v (I think) as well, no wall plug.

9 Likes

agree about the sound tone favoring AH(z14)…I was not impressed by the canny tome of the Soundcraft (12)…I was going to ask if you explain to be how you are using one of then as a sub-mixer? I am using audio interface to integrate the box for recording purposes. Is it redundant to use two mixers If I am using an interface?

Thank you

Almost bought a eurorack one but those momentary buttons rule!

I did have the Soundcraft master inserts plugged into stereo 2 on the AH. Worked fine as far as I could tell. Then I plugged the other bits into the A&H.

It’s not redundant if there are useable tools on the mixer. If you just want clean pristine sounds, there’s maybe not as much of a point. If you want it all dirty and imperfect there’s more reason.

Part of what I was hearing on the soundcraft was due to the Ohmage on the headphone out being way too powerful for the AKG702. Though I don’t think higher rated headphones will makes those eq’s much better.

1 Like

Just got my RNC power supply (which got lost moving) Using RNC to boost/compress signal from rack mixer to MOTU M4 line ins which have no gain control. Works and sounds great.

6 Likes

Ok, yes, I don’t need it to be dirty since I have heat to do that part…yes, I have a noise headset as well and should be investing on upgrade or speakers…at the moment being careful with my GAS since income doesn’t justify it.

thanks for sharing, appreciate.

The should be can control in the Discovery app [browser page], no? [for your M4]

no, here is what MOTU’s very quick CS said:

I’m afraid the M4’s line inputs 3-4 are fixed in terms of level. Input volume in this case will need to be adjusted at the output of your mixer.

A bit annoying, but M4 sounds great. I already had RNC and it is doing good stuff for the sound, so I am happy.

3 Likes

Hmmm ya. Assumptions…me = ass

Didn’t know the Discovery app didn’t werk with M4.

Cool little unit tho! Awesome price. MOTU stuff werks and sounds great too. Been hooked for the last 20 years on em.
Solid!

1 Like

Great little unit, provided that constraint isn’t a deal breaker for a person’s needs.

1 Like

Maybe I just bought a virus ti2 desktop, after I wanted to have it for years now, thought it was way to expensive for a single piece of equipment and spend way way more on that to move around buying one.

I am so happy I finally pulled the trigger and can’t wait to have it shipped and delivered!

Will flood the WTS section with gear in a week or two ,)

7 Likes

It is bottomless and gorgeous. Nothing else like it.

This post just reminded me of the old Virus B desktop units and I see they’re not too expensive still…

Intentions: express myself! (On the A4)

Now to figure out what to express, never had an expr.pedal before.

5 Likes

I use on of those to connect my Elektron gear to my Fire TV remote control.

2 Likes

I have been searching for a performance-oriented analog mixer for some time, and I have finally found a very good deal for second-hand Model 1 in perfect condition from a rental company seeking to reduce its stock!

The DSUBs allow connecting 6 stereo channels + 2 stereo returns using multicores - huge space-saver, less confusion (and the RCA line-ins remain available if needed). It sounds absolutely great overall, and the filters and EQs are very smooth and beautifully sounding.

For the time being, I have connected AR, A4, OT-Main, and Lyra8 on channels 1-4. Aux1 goes into AH, Aux2 into OT-AB. Cue B serves as a third Aux channel (via the DSUB out) and goes into OT-CD. AH comes back on Return 1, and OT-Cue on Return 2.

14 Likes

Co-Designed by Richie Hawtin. Not a typical Mixer with the Sculpt and Contour sections, among others.

2 Likes