What's your latest purchase & what are your intentions with it? [pics ftw] (Part 2)

Waldorf Quantum. First one arrived with major shipping damage, the store replaced with a brand new unit. Had a long 4 month wait.
Intentions: out of this world musical journeys !

27 Likes

Had a MS-20 Mini 5-6 years ago and only sold it due to the build quality and pronounced hiss. Never thought Iā€™d end up with a full size version but I saw a black one available for $400 off and couldnā€™t resist. Still waiting for it to warm up after its journey, but the build quality immediately feels better than the mini.

My intention is to ditch eurorack and just focus on this as a self-contained synth for basses, leads, and sound effects, running through an analog delay pedal (EHX DMM). Had a vision of creating gothy post-punk with this a couple years ago and Iā€™m glad to be resuming that mission with the synth I always wanted in my studio.

32 Likes

Iā€™m in!

5 Likes

Itā€™s funny - i tried for years to convince my friend and band leader to replace me with a violinist who has truly professional level skills - as I took up the instrument years after graduating from university and donā€™t have the deep background in classical music or traditional fiddle music like the pros. But she always said she likes how I make the sounds of wind breeze, seagulls, girls screaming while being chased, etc. on the violin; and insisted that she believed in my ability to write parts to fit her songs and play them competently. The music is not complicated, so the parts I wrote for violin have been simplie, not requiring pro-level violin technique.

So all this time spent writing and practicing violin parts for her band and exploring ideas on my own has resulted in being confident enough to invest in the NXT-5a, which is a step up from my Yamaha YEV-105 (the best entry-level electric violin imo).

7 Likes

I got a few Bowie Stylophones to gift out to my family this Christmas.

16 Likes

Did something a littleā€¦ different (for me anywayā€¦)

Iā€™ve always been into the bigger more ā€œseriousā€ synths.

Today an idea came to me, inspired by the holiday, and actually another thread here that I had posted in a bit. (Thanks to that posterā€¦)

I ordered three pocket operators, cases, cables. One for me, one for my dad, and one for my brother. Every time we get together, weā€™re all fiddling with random objects, making some form of music, percussion, etc. (all of us are musical in some capacity)

I figured now we should be a Pocket Band ā„¢. Pretty excited for our gathering.

Last time, my mom bought the whole immediate family kazoos and tiny harmonicas. This time we shall get electronic :smiley:

19 Likes

Your family sounds great :heart:

2 Likes

I wish that happened in my family instead of socks, jumpers and biscuits!

3 Likes

I dunno why people get bummed over socks.
Thereā€™s nothing like new socks. Iā€™ve even stopped washing socks.
I just toss them because 12 are on auto replenish from Amazon every 2 weeks.

1 Like

Power move.

Some of my socks are at least 12 years old.

New socks rule though.

1 Like

You should buy nicer socks.

3 Likes

:thinking: questionable flex, but okā€¦

6 Likes

There was a story, possibly apocryphal, that Justin Timberlake never washed his boxer shorts and always put a fresh brand new pair of Calvins on every day.

Socks are great, and the reason is, I NEVER go shopping for them myself. If it wasnā€™t for holidays, I wouldnā€™t have any. :smiley: The only item of clothing I actively go shop for (and not even that often) is jackets. I kind of have a thing for them. Otherwise, my wife makes me pick out things when weā€™re out sometimes, and thatā€™s how I acquire clothing these days. (used to love to shop downtown in say, my 20s, but now Iā€™m having fun if Iā€™m putting together a Mouser order :stuck_out_tongue: )

2 Likes

Itā€™s plausible if he was traveling heavily or working at remote studios.

When Iā€™m not backpacking, laundry is difficult and expensive. Often hotel laundry service is more expensive than buying new underwear, and usually takes a full 24 hours from drop off.

The last time I was in Japan, I just bought new socks & underwear at convenience stores and rotated my shirts and pants. Then washed everything when I got back home.

Generally if Iā€™m not a work, Iā€™m not wearing socks cause itā€™s always warm here, but if socks and tshirts came on a roll like paper towels, Iā€™d be a happy man.

I heard the same thing about Usherā€¦?

IIRC (this was many years ago) it was presented as his normal home routine. But you make a fair point.

Probably a lazy ā€œinsert R&B star hereā€ music churnalism clichĆ© thenā€¦

Yeah, probably.