What's your latest purchase & what are your intentions with it? [pics ftw] (Part 1)

yeah that’s my plan, for now I can cope but yeah I’ll have to do that as some point. could be as simple as a rogue socket extension

Did you replace all the outlets and breaker? Is it possible to split the room to two circuits without to much hassle/money? Also when you find a pair that makes noise can you reproduce it in another room on a different circuit (If possible)?

If you disconnect everything from the pulse 16 and you hear hum or noisce, first check the usb cable/usb hub

will check the rme plugin for sure, thanks!
currently using overhub and another, much worse usb 3 hub connected to overhub
will get a nice big rack usb hub soon, 13 or 16 ports

digiface however is plugged straight into MacBook

Alas, no. I’m renting, so we haven’t gotten as far as that yet - and I am currently isolated in this room and don’t care to bring strangers in at the moment (I have health issues). For now, I will have to make do. It’s an old farmhouse in the middle of nowhere, so electrical issues were always going to be inevitable. I just need to decide how much I am willing to pay on someone else’s house. It might be best to get something like one of those assymetircal power supplies such as the one Furman makes. I shudder to think of the cost, but at least I can take that with me if I move.

Unfortunately, every time I think I have this hum figured out, it pops up again. Hopefully that won’t be the case with the current arrangement - but I am cabling up very methodically, checking each bit as I go to see if the noise comes back.

Bummer, yeah I wouldn’t put a dime in someone else’s house.

Proper line conditioners are worth every penny and can help a ton.

1 Like

If the hum is due to a grounding that’s wasted away, you could probably have the electricity Co. force the owner to have it replaced? Like if it’s a safety issue?

1 Like

Yeah. I am sure our landlord would do so without coercion, but it has yet to be deemed unsafe or even that it is a problem in the house instead of from the power company. We’ve gone rounds with electric company and electrician, but have yet to get anywhere. There are multiple power problems out here but they are intermittent and therefore hard to diagnose.

Just got an Octatrack. Super excited to spend a ton of time being terrible with it and trying to learn it – hopefully it won’t take me too long!

7 Likes

I’d try one of these before investing 2500$$$ on a furman spaceship:

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/triad-magnetics/MD-500-U/237-2079-ND/5813845

with an isolation transformer you are almost 100% isolated from the power line. If you still got the ground loop/hum issue, the problem is elsewhere. (And you can install it very easily by yourself)

3 Likes

Indeed. My son suggested the same thing.

Powered or passive monitors?

1 Like

Powered, as were the ast. However, they are dead silent (Adam A8X). The noise increases when I turn up gain on the incoming signal, so it isn’t the monitors. It’s a weird thing - it happens when I have certain prices of gear plugged into certain outlets, but which gear and which outlets actually changes. It’s like chasing ghosts.

Ya…not the mons.

That shit drives me nuts. Shitty wiring in an apt or house. I have a power conditioner. But it’s just a low end Furman. So I dunno how much it helps. And can’t justify spending big bucks on something heavy duty.

For me, I suck and music is a hobby. So I live with some noise. A good track should stand on its own, noisy or no. I have yet to achieve a tune that outshines the noise.

Hope you sort it.

1 Like

Actually, an even better strategy would be to disconnect half of it and search from there.

1 Like

It seems Scott already recabled everything several times…
Installing a transformer is 15 minutes work.
Then if one want to debug to a solution it may requires days with that amount of devices
Just my opinion

1 Like

Thanks, I will sort it out, I am sure -the questions are only ‘when?’ and ‘how much?’ :thinking:

Okay, back on topic - Not a purchase, but an acquisition - this is a Moog 901A Oscillator Driver from my Model 10. It might have an issue, so Moog has sent me another to swap in. My intention is to spend a long (long!) time calibrating it. Not the easiest of tasks, I’ve been told.

3 Likes

Oh, indeed!
I was just responding to your suggestion to disconnect it all and reconnect one by one to point out that a standard binary search strategy has worked well for me in practice (not just sounding smart in CS classes ;))

2 Likes

This is, actually more or less what I’ve done this third time around. I disconnected everything from one side of the room and have been plugging stuff in one by one. So not everything is disconnected this time. It gave me an excuse to scoot the modular stuff closer to the DAW stuff.