What's your latest purchase & what are your intentions with it? [pics ftw] (Part 1)

Nice job, I’d probably end up electrocuted with cuts all over me if I tried that and it’d be gaffer tape, not wood.

1 Like

YOU ARE ENTERING THE DANGER ZONE.
If you want to flash firmware reconnect keyboard with ribbon cable, or it wont update.
DO NOT THROW THE KEYBOARD INTO THE TRASHCAN!
I WARNED YOU!

Hi!

in this case (haha! :wink: ) it’s a easy task, anyone can this!

The Microfreak Desktop:

you need:

1x philips screwdriver
1x marker
1x ruler long as the unit
1x saw (i took a small hacksaw, because I hadn't anything else)
1x sharp knife
1x gaffer tape

you do:

- remove all screws from bottom
- remove the keys - just 2 addition screws, and a ribbon cable, nothing more
- mark with ruler the line you want to cut from bottom
- saw
- clean edges with knive (or something else)
- screw that thing back together
- gaffer for the win
6 Likes

Really nice job!

Next time someone asks how the keys are on the Microfreak, I’ll direct them to this description of you chopping them off :laughing:

1 Like

That’s a nice job, well done!

Yeah noone will miss the crappy keys on the MF, i hated them. They where cool for about 5 minutes… :slight_smile:

It makes more sense as desktop module. :+1:

1 Like

intention: track :stuck_out_tongue:
gonna use it standalone mostly. gonna hook up the volca drum too n see how they fare

edit: it’s gorgeous. smaller than I thought. very nice build. included sd card usb adapter is a nice touch.

25 Likes

I just updated the info of the microfreak without keyboard: you need to keep the keyboard and reconnect it to flash the firmware, or update will fail.
I just thought I bricked it, but no, it was the keyboard, haha!

2 Likes

3D waves made a case for doing this but don’t seem to be selling it anymore ?

6 Likes

Yes.
But its easy. If you don’t mind just reuse the bottom part of the original unit and fix the hole in front with gaffer or wood. It’s really easy to do.

1 Like

Just received the MIDI FIGHTER 3D… :sleepy:

The intention was to use it to control my hardware.

I just assumed that a MIDI controller like this one in 2020 would have the ability to map notes/cc commands to each button and bank. Stupid of me to assume… :nauseated_face:

So unless I’ve missed something obvious this glorified MIDI Controller will be sent back to Thomann.
A shame since the build is phenomenal and I very much prefer the buttons over silicon pads.

EDIT: Sadly it’s not possible to map it for hardware use, only within a DAW via midi learn. The CC/notes are fixed and there is no way to remap them. Solution is to translate the notes/CC to what you want, which can be done with MIDI pipe or with my MIDI HUB.

Will keep it though, as playing on it’s sublime, and will actual use it for playing, unlike my launchpad X…,

7 Likes

Neotrellis M4

Cheap 32 fat silicon small button USB controller.

Nice part is that it is very easily programmable in circuitpython so button colours, actions and midi sends (and receives) can be whatever you like. Notes, Chords etc. Or maybe not even midi depending on your use case.

Currently using it as a tiny 32 note, coloured scale key pad. No velocity sadly. Thinking I might make the top row chords based off the first note pressed on the lower 3 rows …

Plugs in and powers on a 1010 blackbox or axoloti as host. Need to try it next with iPad and OP-Z

9 Likes

That’s nice! I already have the Launchpad X which can be programmed fairly well.
But I never use it to play on, I just use it as a controller for my Pyramid, which works quite well, to be honest. Was hoping the MF 3D would replace it, but it can’t it seems.

One option is to have the MF 3D just as a “dumb” controller to play on, which is very nice and use the Launchpad X for programmable stuff.

I’m still baffled how limited the MF 3D is for hardware mapping, I’m kind of sick and tired of all the gimmick flashing lights on these types of controllers to be honest… .-)

I’ve looked at the Neotrellis M4 and it, of course, could be an option to replace the Launchpad X with it.

I wouldn’t call the ‘trellis a ‘player’s keypad’, the buttons are nice and squishy and superbright or dull if you prefer in whatever rgb hue, but they are only fingertip size.
handy though in terms of portability as a very tiny programmable button controller if you want to play notes or finger-tip drum a blackbox/OP-Z or other host etc.

1 Like

I never knew these even existed…

9 Likes

I grabbed some of these off of Amazon. Was 5 bucks for 2 generic ones. They worked with both audio and cv. They have them labeled as headphone splitters.

1 Like

Cool! Any degradation in sound quality?

Can you set different presets with button combinations? By midi?

Don’t quite get the question - but program change is part of the midi library onboard the neotrellis, so you could send a program change message by pressing one or a combination of buttons

or you could program the neotrellis to switch into a different logic on detection of a particular combination of buttons being held

1 Like

I think he ask if you can have different presets and load/switch them on the fly ?

1 Like

in theory, though i haven’t tried it, you could program it to detect say all 4 of the corner buttons being held as a condition, and if yes, then next pressed button selects a new preset (i.e. enter a new code loop to control the button logic)

2 Likes

Gotta pair of these weighty warblers arriving tomorrow. They should provide enough muscle for my Moog.

29 Likes