What's your greatest gear deal?

I just got a DX7 IID for 200.00 usdm!

2 Likes

I can’t remember specifics, but when Ensoniq released the Fizmo, the release price was immediately discounted by about 75%. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. I popped in to Turnkey, on Charing Cross Road, saw one on a stand and had to question the price with the salesman. I believe Ensoniq went under not long after.

2 Likes

Nice deals :slight_smile:

Mine’s probably an immaculate akai gx-77 reel to reel. £15 at a carboot sale…

2 Likes

For the first OT I bought and sold I was always pretty chuffed that I bagged it for ÂŁ500. Not a mental saving but never seen one near that price before or since.

3 Likes

Easy
ÂŁ200
That, coupled with the rarity, lucking out big time, and the very very long wait …

The original Roland 303 and the GR-300

:heart: :blue_heart:

4 Likes

$450 Canadian (when the dollar was decent) for an almost pristine condition OP-1 from a guy who said it didn’t sound good. Always keep those eyes peeled!

2 Likes

Got my OP1 from @J0n35y for ÂŁ395 a few years back, thank you sir!

4 Likes

My 1980s Japanese Washburn bass guitar for fifty quid from a charity shop just in time for Xmas; it needed some internal wiring fixing and a new jack socket, but a friend did that for a few quid more and it sounds lovely still.

1 Like

Juno 106, ÂŁ0.
SCI Sixtrack, ÂŁ0.
Boss PC-2 percussion synthesizer, ÂŁ10.

When I was a lad I worked in a music store for a while. A guy walked out of there with a used Yamaha CS-50m in excellent condition. ÂŁ30. I kid you not.

2 Likes

Many of the vintage synths I’ve owned were bought back in the 80s and early-90s when they were of little value. Yamaha CS60 for $180, Moog Source for $100, ARP 2600 for $600, Prophet-600 for $20, Yamaha CS40m for $20 and JX3P for $10. Conversely, if memory serves, I paid nearly $2k for the Wavestation when it was new (not that I didn’t get my money’s worth!) so it all kinda evens out in the end.

5 Likes

DX7 for ¥2000 / £15.75 / $19.26 with official flight case. I spent more on the soldering iron and battery but that’s nothing. All in all it was a wonderful experience. Cleaning it with a toothbrush and restoring it has made me cherish it even more. It’s my main midi keyboard now and the machine I intend learning how to play the keys on.

4 Likes

I got my Sequential Pro One for $87USD and Roland VP-330 for $275USD. Ahh, I do miss the good old days when everyone was selling this outdated trash for the fancy new workstations.

:laughing:

3 Likes

My first (and only) TR909 in , I guess, 1991 for 1250 Dutch guilders… must be about 550 euro
An drummer used it with a band for rehearsel only so that he didn’t have to build his complete drumkit.
He didn’t know anything about the rising house scene.
I sold it later with more stuff like my TB303, Drumtracks… to buy a brand new Akai S1000… stupid me. :thinking:

2 Likes

My mighty A4, brand new, 979 euros, in 2015. All began by Elektron price down about 15%, then a foolish competition between differents music store.
Without this I wouldn’t have A4

hahaha wow… i buy your AR for half the price if you didn’t like it :slight_smile:
(joke) i don’t have great deal to post for now…

1 Like

$450 CAD to a Roland RE-201 Space Echo. The original asking price was $850, which I was prepared to pay. Upon checking it out it turned out the Reverb wasn’t working, but the seller didn’t want to drop the price. I didn’t want to take the risk of having to repair it and so I left. As I was heading back to my car I got a call about 5 minutes later. He said “My wife told me I have to sell it right now, so will you buy it for $450?” I went back right away and bought it.

When I got home I decided to take it apart and see if I could figure out what was wrong with the reverb. It turned out that for some reason the reverb tank got connected backwards. I just swapped the cable around and everything worked fine.

9 Likes

Managed to get a 2 month old Pro 2 for ÂŁ800

Fuuuuuuuuuuuu…

I actually bought that OP-1 on the forum some months before for ÂŁ350! Forgot all about it until Ghostly mentioned it!

(I feel a bit dirty admitting that after selling it on for a bit more…think I justified it to myself to cover paypal and postage)

4 Likes

I got my Monomachine MKII+ new for $800 USD four years ago when they were still going for $1400ish. Elektron sale + Labor Day discount :smiley:

1 Like