What's your favorite music of 2018?

Tool

1 Like

His last Tiny Desk performance was really good.

@Kingtiers
That was the tipping point for me!

I was never a fan, either. But he was definitely talented. It’s a taste thing, for me. Same reason I can’t get into a J Cole record.

I can second this. Even the mixing is beautiful, and I never thought I’d say that about an LSDJ album, haha!

2 Likes

@Ess loved your post man!!! Liked everything in your top list and most enjoying amnesia scanner. Wow. Thanks for the thoughtful post.

Sam

I haven’t listened widely enough this year to make any definitive statements, but here’s stuff I’ve really liked:

• Daphne & Celeste (this is basically a Max Tundra pop record and it’s every bit as great as that sounds)
  • Skee Mask - Compro
  • Second Woman - Instant / Apart
  • Oneohtrix Point Never - Age Of
  • Gwenno - Le Kov
  • Kacey Musgraves - Golden Hour
  • Tim Hecker - Konoyo
  • Dilly Dally - Heaven
  • Blood Orange - Negro Swan
  • Jogging House - Would
  • Emily A. Sprague - Mount Vision
  • Caterina Barbieri - Born Again in the Voltage
  • Perfume - Future Pop
  • whatever that unprintable Wingdings name is that Four Tet used to unload a bunch of his old tracks

It’s been a hip hop filled year for me. Handful of favs In no particular order, except Daytona is turning into my favorite release of the year

Pusha T - Daytona
Czarface & MF Doom - Czarface meets metal face
Ghostface Killah - the lost tapes
Kids see ghost - self titled
Kanye west - ye
Lil Wayne - tha carter v
Earl sweatshirt - some rap songs
Atmosphere - mi vida local
Dem atlas - bad actress
Ho99o9 - cyber cop ep

3 Likes

Daytona was short, sweat, and slaps hard.

3 Likes

several contenders for my favourite already mentioned, but haven’t noticed anyone mentioning this record from 7FO which I loved and made me feel all fuzzy. Plus the entire of side 2 is about a Dragon.

Did not see that coming!!

Oh yeah! Skee Mask - Compro. Forgot that one, so good. Deep.

6 Likes

May I ask all of you how you are digging for new music? Spotify recommendations? Music magazines? Blogs? Vinyl dealers?

Super nice music here - thanks a lot! Keep 'em coming!

My 2018 finds:

Ocoeur - Inner https://open.spotify.com/album/6ObHzlHMjPsKQZtOBR2c6c?si=9dmzcSG4TiWfeDy5jeKxtA
Ocoeur - Reversed (2017 though… but super nice)

Totally stunned that all the new music I listened to this year were <= 2017 releases … but 2018 is the year where I started to make music on my own - so I guess I have an excuse.

Edit:

I just created a Spotify Playlist and starting to add all albums mentioned here: https://open.spotify.com/user/microfx/playlist/0H1MFtlgbsY5HZwr7yeBGK?si=4TzNiyVeShGZ0ZN01zVx-g

The playlist is now 110,75h long - 1468 songs …ooooops

Have fun! Do you want to collaborate? @Kingtiers aybe you can add this to your first post for everyone?

Bandcamp and Boomkat for me, usually visit daily and browse around.

1 Like

Same here. Along with some well chosen twitter feeds and The Wire magazine.

1 Like

Bandcamp and Spotify. I used to use Last.fm as a discovery/recommendations engine but I think Spotify has surpassed it.

1 Like

Bandcamp, Needle Drop, Resident Advisor, Fader and Factmag. Also sometimes clicking on related links within a YT video would expose me to similar artists that I find myself enjoying. But it can be all very time consuming, so I just set some time in the week to check out feed alerts from the ones mentioned above.

2 Likes

Added the playlist.

As far as how I find music: I check the new releases every week and basically skim through everything until something catches my ear. Other than that it’s suggestion algorithms, word of mouth, and a few blogs I follow.

I spend a lot of my free time listening to music.

http://newalbumreleases.net/

1 Like

Laurel Halo - Raw Silk Uncut Wood
Earl Sweatshirt - Some Rap Songs
Shit and Shine - Very High EP
Barker - Debiasing EP
Varg - Nordic Flora Series Pt. 5: Crush
Sophia Loizou - Irregular Territories
Yung Hurn - 1220
Felicia Atkinson - Coyotes

Surprised there’s been no mention on here for the new Robyn album - Honey
Probably my favourite this year