What's your all-time favourite DRUM Machine?

I like drum SOUNDS I can get, and the Elektron workflow is the most productive for me.

I’ve tried the Roland 808/909 plugins, but don’t get as into programming sequences so much through DAWs, used various generative sequencers, I think as a full dedicated “drum machine” I really oughta try a TR-8S.

I know it’s going to be excellent, but I enjoy sound design so very much :slight_smile:

I guess I haven’t yet found my perfect one, but current favorites are Rytm/Digitone/MD.

1 Like

That’s what I thought but I hadn’t seen a definitive answer one way or the other. I was thinking it would make a good sound module for an electronic kit but sadly lack of velocity would be a dealbreaker. I love the sounds that come from it though.

1 Like

Machinedrum, although in a similar way to what Ess said before, I love much more the idea of it than the final execution. I had it twice and second time sold remorselessly after recognizing that in spite of being the best electronic instrument I’ve tested, I don’t like the results I got with it in the sonic side of it. And I find it really tragic it has not been surpassed yet by anyone after all this time…

3 Likes

Out of curiosity, what are some aspects of the Machinedrum that makes it so unique and great? I’m only familiar with Elektron boxes Octatrack onwards.

Thinking about my MD UW +Drive:

• With clever programming and sample management you can cop the sound of nearly any classic drum machine. Perfectly? No, but enough to make great music of all sorts.

• With clever programming and sample management you can come up with sounds that will make your head spin.

• It’s a great MIDI sequencer. It lacks sequencing options that Elektron developed in later machines but it is still one of the best that I have used.

• The plus drive lets me keep banks of percussion tools that I need every so often: tablas, taikos, djembes, acoustic drum kits. And other samples, too. The bank that just has sound bites from “Enter The Dragon” competes with the bank that has sound bites from John Carpenter’s “Prince of Darkness” for my love.

• CRTL ALL. 'Nuff said.

• v-yadli and Justin Valer’s MDX firmware updates.

• ELVIS!

9 Likes

The extreme degree of modularity, especially with the new firmware. There are 16 tracks and any track can be assigned to:

• Run any synthesis engine (VA, FM, physical modelling, samples, basic waves, impulses and noise)
  • Sequence external gear
  • Process the audio inputs or neighbouring tracks
  • Sample the audio inputs or master output into 4 internal buffers (this is where the idea for the Octatrack flex buffers came from)
  • Control and plock the master FX, all track parameters at once, or a selection or key parameters
  • Trigger, choke and send an LFO to another track

None of the individual engines are particularly great or iconic in the way that you’d consider 808 or 909 sounds (except for maybe FM-BD), and as pointed out above it has probably suffered from a focus on quantity over quality. The beauty comes from the layering and complex interactions that aren’t possible on other drum machines.

4 Likes

Neil Peart…that guy’s a machine!

7 Likes

rytm!
but man I wish they added a base-width filter for the sample layer!

5 Likes

Acidlab Drumatix. Because, it takes my previous favourite classic, and improves on it. Though, I’ll tip my hat to +1 to the OG Tanzbar mention above. Both underrated, and possibly very desirable in the future.

1 Like

Syntakt

2 Likes

rytm :fire:

3 Likes

Monomachine

1 Like

Any synth is a drum machine if you’re brave enough.

“a monosynth with a capable sequencer” is probably my favourite drum machine, but it is not the most generally useful drum machine.

7 Likes

Great when paired with a sampler

1 Like

No votes for SP-16?

6 Likes

Interesting thread, currently running ableton into my OT but looking to get a DT, nord drum 3P or a TR-8s instead… lots of love for the rytm as well which i sold recently. I am hesistant to purchase a mk1; haven’t touched one yet.

Everybody gettin down make no mistake

Nothing sounds quite like the

3 Likes

808 I guess BUT I do love what the sp-1200 sounds like. Absolutely adore it, actually. But it’s not a drum machine, so… Still wish I could get one.

1 Like

For me it’s the Analog Rytm 2. It really feels like working with a premium instrument. Sounds like one too. You can build plenty of kits and projects to make it work for you, Samples or analog or both. All it’s sequencer trickery and probability are unmissable once you are used to it. It’s awesome and all I ever want in a drummachine. There is still so much functionality to discover, can’t imagine ever getting bored with it.

5 Likes

Machinedrum mk2 UW+

No hesitation.
Although I love the Syntakt, I love the playability of the MD, I can really get a thing that get me dancing in no time.

CTRL-AL + Reload is incredibly well done, although looking at the following machines one can ask themselves if this wasn’t pure luck. Fn+knob then Fn+Reload feels just immediate and natural, with the same two fingers. Why hasn’t such shortcut been implemented on the following machines?
Plus for some reason the machine parameters are rather well aligned for Ctrl-AL. It just sounds lovely.

The resampling might be one of my favorite synthesis type, actually. I love doing some crazy bass line, resample it and mangle it further. The filters are ace on top of this.

Yes, the sound is a bit aging, maybe, but I always have the Deco behind and it just polishes the sound to my need.
Yes, I always mess between the Mutes and the Grid mode, I hate this.
Yes, I’d rather have the modern sequencer.
And yes, I would love being able to save Sounds.
Oh, and I certainly own a couple drum machines too much.

But the day a Machinedrum mk3 is out… it will be mine, yes, it will be mine.

12 Likes