Whats wrong with me? The step from Ableton only to AR mk1 and A4 mk1 is not working as i was dreaming bevore i bought them

I love that awkward drum rack system. Extremely powerful.

Cause there simply were no computers available. Doesn’t make them obsolete for this genre. They can do any genre. Different times.

But now we are starting that exhausting hardware- software debate again… Sorry, I’ll stop now :slight_smile:

4 Likes

They can do anything which often means nothing. . . too many options can bog down the creativity and that’s why there is so much formulaic and un-original stuff out there.

Again, it’s about having fun and you’ll get more respect with a hardware based live set- a rarity these days.

you are speaking about you having more fun. That’s not a general rule.
And the respect aspect is pretty superficial imo.

this is also true for a lot of hardware based music out there

2 Likes

Agree with a lot of the suggestions here: the rhetoric around hardware being more “real” or professional than software is inaccurate and creatively harmful. Take a step back and work out what works for you, regardless of what others think. I think looking at the A4 and AR as instruments first and foremost is a really good idea: like any musical instruments, they need time and practice to master. You’re not going to pick them up and immediately produce something perfect, just as you wouldn’t pick up a violin and immediately knock out a symphony.

You’ve mentioned that you bought hardware for playing live: maybe try to focus on that, rather than worrying about replicating the sounds you can create in a studio setting. Definitely try working on the A4 and AR separately to Ableton, thinking about how you might want to perform and then iterating and rehearsing towards that. It won’t be perfect at first, but through building on each attempt you’ll get closer to something good.

1 Like

Lol… Anyone saying so is probably a twat and you shouldn’t care. Techno can be made with whatever equipment. And the best gear is the one you’re most comfortable with.

1 Like

I can really understand you… i had the same problem like you. i bought the same gear but i sold both again after 6 month. simultaneously i bought the Analog Heat which can give you that
analog saturated high hats, claps and Kicks… The sound you are looking for.

Now I root my Ableton Drumracks or the new DS Synth (Ableton 10 only)
and Digitakt into AH or since Live 10 in the new Ableton Drum Buss to get this sound.
The Synth problem i solved with buying a DSI Pro 2 and and a DSI OB-6.

But all of this cost me a lot of brainpower and money.
I hope that helps you.

OK :smirk: Having fun is not for some people.

And I’m sure some people find computers and browsing through endless samples/ racks fun.

Well, there are countless guys with laptops offering “live sets”…

I approve of this solution!

yeah, browsing is the best part of making music

For me it is updating operating systems and naming drum samples.

1 Like

and countless guys pressing play on an elektron sequencer with prepared patterns (me included). What’s the definition of a live set? Is improvisation a prerequisite?

A good question. I guess it depends on the level of interactivity between the player and the machines and whether the scene you’re part of even cares. In most commercial situations nobody really cares so long as you fill the dance floor. I do care and so I try to prepare a live set without just firing up song mode. Live triggering patterns is a blast and does take some practice.

I did one set once with just ableton playing a complete arrangement while I was tweaking a few knobs and i felt like a cheat … (but the crowd never knew)

1 Like

Hmm. Maybe you could try the Octatrack then? You could export your stems to OT from your ITB setup which you sound comfortable with, and still have that live hardware feel.

I had AR and A4 too and sold both, and I’m happy back to Ableton. I saw a nice pic from Fourtet once (memes included)

2 Likes

what are stems?

The ‘digital is shit’ mantra is coming from the late 90`s when cheap digital equipment flooded the market. they were shit for sure (boss/zoom/etc)… these days this is simply just bullshit.

check out this video. you can ignore the expensive comps & chanel strips (because they fekk’n expensive) but the rest is golden:

he is also using A4

and if I can put some ‘shameless self promo’ here… this is my full one hour live set recorded with Analaog Keys and Digitak+Tanzbar (these two more or less the same as the AR) on abelton:

After all I would say everything needs time. I good patch, a good track, a good mix, a good liveset.
To chance a running system often requires to learn something new from the beginning.
They are two Worlds for me I think. An Ableton based producing method and a Hardware only System.
And both Worlds have their pros and cons.

Maybe we have to talk in a year or so and have a look whats going on.

Ableton as a Hardware stand alone without a Computer that might be the best for me :slight_smile:

But I love my Elektrons and I will not sell them only because of a creativ crisis.
Those crisis are absolutly normal since I am doing music.

Thank you all for your replies!
Thats a really interesting discussion.

Milan

1 Like

More or less I agree. A lot of it boils down to how much time you want to spend using the mouse or mapping plug-in parameters to your hardware controller… I find I get a more interesting sound by mixing analogue with digital. If all-digital sounded just as good then people wouldn’t buy things like the Analogue Heat… I don’t think it’s just a fad.

I agree… but it doesn’t mean that you HAVE to have analog gear for good techno or good anything. A few years ago I’ve seen an old doc somewhere, where Nathan Fake (who I admire for his unique sound) is making a track on the default cubase soft synth on a big ass CRT monitor in the late 90s.

EDIT: that being said… if you can afford it, then go for it.

1 Like

I just checked a live set by Nathan Fake and he’s using the mouse! Not cool! :sunglasses:

But his tracks are phenomenal

I know that video but it has to be from around 2009