What's the pitch sweep time?

In the synth page, you can find "sweep time and sweep depth. Anyone know what is the sweep time and what for it was made? I use the seep time and sweep depth by ears, without understanding what they really do.

The sweep depth is the pitch above the tone of the oscillator (first knob on the synth-page?) and the sweep time is the amount of time it takes for the pitch to reach the oscillator tone.

Try increasing the amount of both knobs to maximum and you will see what I mean :slight_smile:

1 Like

thx obar for your quick answer!

1 Like

I ear the differents sounds when i change the values but i can’t make a link with what you said, can you explain a little more details? i don’t really understand. And i think i mix up the “Tune” and the pitch parameters in my head.

Set a BDsharp up like this and then change the depth SWD or time SWT to explore the effect

It’s a mono-polar modulation (like an envelope) of pitch that starts high and decays, it’s designed to model a physical transient effect heard in real drums

If you disable it, you get a more regular flavour oscillator

1 Like

Think of it as an envelope applied to the tune: sweep depth controls how much the envelope is applied and sweep time changes how fast the envelope is. A positive depth will cause the sweep to start higher than the tune value and descend in pitch towards it, a negative depth will start lower and then ascend.

1 Like

As far as I can tell, sweep time is not tempo dependent like some other time based settings.

For example, you can disable the synth sweep,time and get the same thing with a one shot triggered LFO sent to pitch, and with this method, the sweep time as set by LFO speed WILL change based on tempo.

1 Like

Yeah, not everything is linked to tempo - envelopes for example are time based … shown here for A4

1 Like

Good information guys. I have a question to add to the discussion. I have experimented with the one shot exponent lfo and gotten some decent results using similar techniques with massive. Set the tune to -24, add a pitch envelope using the lfo envelope amount set to +17 and adding overdrive to bring out the harmonics.

However I read in the manual and Will’s tuning guide the default tuning for the bd classic is B0 about 30hz. If I use the SWD and SWT parameters they are set from 0-127 in a positive sweep. My question is whether anyone knows the equivalent values to a regular envelope depth and time values? Or just tweak it by ear as I have done before?

Once again at least understanding the terminology helps a whole lot.

1 Like

anyone knows the equivalents values to a regular envelope depth and time values?
Thanks