Whats the Best Chord Progression Hardware?

Eventide’s Quadrovox harmonizer does this, adding up to four notes to any single note you play into it. I use it in the H9 pedal to make in-key chords from the Digitakt, then resample them.

It does all kinds of scales and modes too. Super cool.

Does it re-voice the chords at all? My Jupiter-Xm has the I-Arpeggio, which at least varies things in a musical way so that it’s fun to jam on and with. It’s hardly a one-press music generator, though, and will quickly go stale without at least basic keyboard technique.

No, but you can choose different voicings and morph through them with a foot pedal/knob.

There’s an iOS app version, Qvox I think it is. You can check it out.

Kordbot is pretty capable as a chord palette.

It doesn’t yet have the promised sequencer functionality, but for chords and arps it is well featured and though has a cheapy feel to the interface, I find it punches well above its price in usefulness and I’ve always had a penchant for rubbery buttons and plastic moulds

If I was going to find myself in a hotel with a laptop, daw, vsts etc, kordbot would be near top of my list as a controller both for chords and the other stuff it does as a mini keyboard, touch strip, assignable knobs, and chord button matrix

1 Like

off topic but related… not hardware but Scaler can be useful, after I find a progression I like, I learn it on keys and guitar and take it from there.

The TheoryBoard (thread) is great for live chord generation. Similar effects, though not as polished, can be done with various Midi Effects processors and standard MIDI controller keyboards. Take for instance the Blokas MidiHub (thread) – you can generate a generalized chord shape (spread, clustered, bass with harmony, etc) and then map that to a particular scale (lots to chose from) and then generate the MIDI from that. Loopop shows some of that here.

1 Like

i Think the best approach is to learn a bit of an instrument before tackling theory…and that’s only if you feel you have to. If you’ve got access to a midi keyboard just download some chord charts. If you’ve got three fingers you can master a triad. You don’t need to be Liberace (I’m an ex drummer who’s a self taught dabbler on the keys) as long as you can manage three or four keys at a time. You’ll be surprised how easily a minor becomes a major or seventh etc. Then look at the three notes. Try using those to form another part around. You’re not playing live, just recording midi note that you’ve u can quantise after the event. You ear will be your guide, you jus5 know what sounds right to you and what doesn’t. Music theory is just a set of guidelines that will get you to a certain place…question is, is that where you want to be?

My english does’nt permit me to understand really what this sentence means. So forgive me if i’m wrong in my return.
So the gear mentionned use reverse chords too, and permit some inversion and also takes in account the possibility to reinforce some notes of the chord by doubling it with octave.
Other thing : the possibility of user chords that alowed to reproduce chords progression we like, or maintain as changing the scale and key note.
For me, ignorant in musical theory, it’s perfectly enough. Futhermore, since my music isn’t listened by pro musicians, my ears and my feeling are enough.
Now I understand what you mean, and your insert might be very useful for the electronauts. Thanks for your appreciated explainations.

I saw that Loopop video as I really like the work of Olafur Arnalds (I would really like to get his Composer Toolkit by Spitfire Audio), Nils Frahm (saw him 3 times in Montreal) and all the Erased Tapes artists. Thanks for sharing the info to all the Community.

1 Like

Cthuhlu I think will blow everything else away. I have it and couldnt live without it anymore.
Take it away and I’m lost, with it I can play Bach!

Definitely not the best but the electribe 2 has some chord mode features which have a fair amount of versatility along with scale modes. I think ultimately using it convinced me to give up on the idea of chord modes and standard scale modes (microtonal is still pretty interesting) it is easy to make some nice sounding stuff but you are also putting limits on yourself which without having the theory can make it hard to figure out how and when to break out of theory and play some “wrong notes” at least for me it has been better to progress learning from a chromatic as you are just more free to explore.

On IOS “Tonality” is a great app for a few $s. It has most chords, scales and assignable pads to play back. It may also be on Android but I’m not 100% sure.

your brain

6 Likes

According to the Loopop vid, the NDLR automatically changes the voicing of chords as you move up or down the range. I just ordered one from Indiegogo (not shipping until April :frowning:) and I’m excited about it because it seems to do more than other, more basic chord generators. I don’t need help coming up with chord progressions (or playing them), but I am interested in its generative sequencing possibilities.

Chordbot, obviously.

That ISLA Kordbot looks pretty intriguing

make chords with your heart <3

but yeah kordbot looks great i got an ableton friend to get one he loves it !

2 Likes

Where can I get one?

2 Likes

A chord’s voicing is the distance between its notes. For example, if you have C-E-G-C for a C major chord within one octave, that would be the same voicing as D-F#-A-D within one octave for a D major chord. But if the D major chord is voiced F#-A-D-F#, that would be a change in voicing, which is the first inversion. The same goes for D minor if you change the F# to an F: the note distances aren’t exactly the same, but they still feel parallel. If the box provides inversions, that helps, but that’s still not as flexible with moving the location of the chord tones as I’d need. But this only matters, I guess, if you’re feeling boxed in, like the thing is too rigid-sounding compared to what you want to hear.

1 Like

Expedited learning through the circle of 5ths…this will nullify the need for an app…

10 Likes