What's next for Elektron?

While we’re all dreaming up what we want Elektron to do next, here’s my dream machine. While it’d be glorious in a Digi-sized both, the original box sizes (OT/MM/MD) would be fantastic… just don’t put it in those new A4/AR MKII monstrosities.

DigiStudio

• 16 tracks of audio- Each track can be a stereo polyphonic sample (4 octaves of pitch shifting), MD machine, or MM/DN machine
  • 16 tracks of MIDI
  • OT style slicing with DT style granular abilities
  • SSD drive
  • 2gb for “flex” machines
  • per track dual filters and delay
  • Super arpeggiator (DN meets OT meets MM) for MIDI and audio
  • 3 lfos per track (2 destinations each)
  • 2 assignable envelopes per track (2 destinations each)
  • 3 FX slots per track (updated versions of the OT FX)
  • All the bells and whistles of the Elektron sequencers (TRC, microtiming, etc)
  • Different note lengths for chords (ability to hold down one note while playing others over top)
  • Master compressor
  • Multiples balanced inputs and outputs (with CUE like the OT)
  • Full sized MIDI I/O and CV
  • OLED screen (perhaps a bit bigger than the OT/A4/AR/MM/MD ones)
  • minimum 8 bars per pattern and the ability to do odd time sigs with steps per page (7/8 would mean 14 steps on each of the 8 pages, for example).
  • Song mode!
  • USB host abilities for USB MIDI controllers
  • Overbridge v7
16 Likes

installed over 3 versions on windows 7 and mac high sierra computers without anything breaking my setups. I’ve even rolled drivers back and fourth on my digitakt without any damage to my project files. YMMV :slight_smile: <3

1 Like

Model:Samples

Model:Tones maybe a fm synth

Model:Heats

Model:Mono maybe a bass synth

Model:Tracks maybe a Model Octatrack … loops / time stretching loops/samples

What’s your guess? I’m thinking they will announce one later this year, summer.

Model: Beats

Model: Grooves

Model: Drums

Digistrike

Soundwave

If their trademarks are anything to go by (@ess says they often take these out as placeholders so not to put too much faith in them)

https://www.trademarkia.com/ctm/ctm-company-advokatbyrn-crown-ab-918237-page-1-2

1 Like

I wondered if Digistrike was a Nord Drum-ish device with pads meant for drumsticks and various kinds of drum synthesis.

An opportunity to bring the new MnM🙂

Model: Waves
I would be surprised/disappointed if we didn’t hear about another product from them before the end of the year. M:S feels like a regurgitation of their stuff, doesn’t seem like it would take R&D too long to pump out a ‘budget’ synth

1 Like

I’d wager R&D does a lot more than just invent devices.

2 Likes

Lol of course but it’s not marketing that’s responsible for coming up with the next box that I’ll want to spend my money on :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Firmware updates.

13 Likes

Maybe a physical modelling box?

I would love to see a Digi sized Elektron Rompler… Something like the E-mu Proteus 2000 Elektron style. I think that would be the perfect addition to their Digi line-up :slight_smile:

Their next device will be infinitely small yet paradoxically have an infinite amount of knobs. It wont sequence midi.

1 Like

and sample-based!

1 Like

I’m so hoping for this

If those trademarks are possibly placeholders, my guess is that one or two of them were potential names for the model:samples. model:beats and model:grooves could quite feasibly work as names for M:S - it’s hard to see a model:grooves being released after the M:S has been marketed as a groovebox.

model:drums could also be the m:s, but also triggers the hope of a drum synth in the model: form factor.

Soundwave doesn’t sound a good name for the M:S, so maybe some wavetable thingy?

Digistrike - I’ve no idea what this could be (digi-format drum synth perhaps?) but I love the name and hope it comes in some rad Apache Strike styling :wink:

I keep using ROMplers as a joke example of the “next big thing”.
I’m starting to wonder if they might actually be the next big thing.

3 Likes

Would be fine by me! Throw in some nice colourful output stages - ideally controllable - and I‘m all ear. You know, for that lo fi tape saturation, which seems to be a thing too, nowadays.

1 Like

Hopefully with actual CDs of sound banks.

Or even better - ‘Elektron have sourced what we believe are the last remaining GD-Rom drives from the original Dreamcast production lines…’

2 Likes

Oh wow, I can almost feel the weight of the thousands of youtube videos with dusty instagram‘ish colourschemes doing Boards of Canada imitations with such a device!

2 Likes